Ranking tables

Survival Robot

I know what a horror it is trying to figure out Uni stuff, general ranks, course ranks.. blah blah blah so I'm putting up this helpful thread with all the useful links I can find about above said topic.

World Rankings

World Top Universities 2010

Top Universities 2007 PDF

World_Best_Unis.pdf

Top Universities 2006 PDF

THES_worldrankings2006.pdf

UK Rankings

Times' Good University Guide (UK Universities, 2010)

Times Good General Ranking Table (2010), as well as subject ranking (insert the course's name which you want to see the ranking for in the appropriate space provided and just click on search)

Guardian Guide (2009) (UK Universities). This is a pretty simple site to navigate through so I'm only linking to the main guide site and you can find your way through it :P

US Rankings

For US university searches use www.collegeboard.com - this site also helps with everything related to your SAT examinations (how to registre for an exam, how to send your score, how to view a score.. etc).

US Gourman Ranking (year unknown) - Engineering (Petroleum), Geography, Geology, Geophysics, German Language & Lit.

US_University_ranking.pdf

IB Scholarships

List of University Scholarships for IB Diploma holders - There are more, but these are the more well known universities.

Last updated 6th March 2010

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
Guest godlvian
:D thanks for the info ,im going to use all these rankings and my choices in subject modules to find out where i want to go to and what i may want to do very soon i hope. :P .I will post any other good sites i find as well. B)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think that in picking a university, it's reputation is what is the most important because there is no good in having a lot of knowledge but a degree from a bad, not-known university. What I did, was I picked most of my universities based on their reputation, even though some of them have not been ranked so high for my subject (management). For instance, my 3rd choice is King's College London. Even though it is no so well-known for it's business, I still think that it's diploma is much more valuable than, say, Aston's diploma (which has been ranked very high in the league tables for management.)

• 3 weeks later...

you think that people who will consider you for a job won't know that King's College London is not so business orientated?

i think that relatives and friends can be impressed by a diploma from a well known university.. but when you apply for a Master's Degree or a job i really believe that they know what to look for and which university is preparing people they need..

if you study business in a natural science university, which is very good at, let's say, biochemisty, it is natural that your studies won't be very efficient..

p.s. i was kind of defending myself, because i'm applying for business in aston :)

p.p.s. times and guardian have the best ranking tables for unis in the UK.. however, they give different rankings, so compare both of them

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is very helpful, especially the scholarships.

Just a suggestion, I think the ARWU charts should be on there. It is a very good ranking system in my opinion-it actually tells you the criterion and schools cannot use money to lobby for higher rankings-which I have heard that certain rankings, mainly US news, take donations into account.

Just a thought.

One thing I will say about ARWU is that it is somewhat bias towards US universities-in the top twenty at least.

Once you get past that it becomes a lot more diverse.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Be careful of ARWU rankings (and Times rankings, for that matter) when it comes to US schools. Those tables put a heavy focus on how much research a school does, number of papers the faculty writes, etc. What they don't look at is how well schools teach their undergraduates. That's OK, because when it comes to educational systems across the world, it's difficult to compare. However, when comparing American schools against each other, for all of its problems, its best to go with the US News rankings. For all of their problems, they're good at giving a general idea of the quality of a school when seeking out a BA/BS.

• 2 months later...

In general, ranking doesn't mean everything anyway. It depends on the program you're interested in too.

Once you're actually hired, it doesn't matter so much what university you went to, but what your skills are. Going to uni with a good reputation doesn't guarantee success.

Edited by SmilingAtLife:)