McLovin

Hey! I'm new to the IB program and I was just wondering, would art be an appropriate topic for a History IA?

Do you think topics about how art influenced WWII would be good? I found out online about how art was used to deceive enemies and the topic of propaganda. Therefore, I was thinking about the potential IA topic of, "How was art used to trick people during WWII for personal gain?" It's just a rough draft but do you think this question itself is too broad? Or is it okay?

Also, is it common for students to write their History IA around films? Like comparing a movie to real sources. If so, does IB look down upon that? In other words, does IB like to see originality or does it not matter?

Thanks!

It really depends on what question you do and whether your approach and methodology fits into the pattern required for History IAs.

So, your art-related IA topic could work, but you definitely need to focus it more. The best History IAs have a cause and a consequence that you can analyse and debate. It's easiest to do this if you focus on a particular event. Perhaps "the theft of a prized piece of artwork and the overall effect that this particular crime had on X"? Something along those lines.

Again, you can do whatever you want in your IA, so long as its fits the criteria well. Comparing movies to real sources is fine, but is that exercise and the research question you've formulated to go along with it, something that you're supposed to be doing for a History IA. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, that's something for you to decide with the aid of your Historey teacher.

My suggestion with trying to do 'original' stuff is: Go ahead and experiment, but have a clear idea of what the IA or EE or whatever is supposed to be/look like and then try to fit in your idea within those criteria.

Edited by Arrowhead