French vocabulary memorization help!

I'm doing a little better in french due to some help from the wonderful people on here. I do have a severe vocabulary problem, however. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to learn lots of vocab, verbs and their conjugations without just writing each word 5-10 times. Thanks!

Edited by alissahuber

I suggest Quizlet. It's a program for language learning and will test you on words until you get them. Check it out. You can also look for existing vocabulary sets on that as well.

In terms of verbs - they mostly follow a pattern. Voir, boire and devoir all follow the same conjugation scheme for present tense. Haven't really checked the other tenses but here are the links.

http://french.about.com/od/verb_conjugations/a/voir.htm

http://french.about.com/od/verb_conjugations/a/boire.htm

http://french.about.com/od/verb_conjugations/a/devoir.htm

If you just learn these patterns then you should be fine. In the exam - just don't try new verbs. Say what you can, don't say what you want.

• Like 1

I find that speaking the language, using it in my verbal work helps me to learn any vocab, as well as actually writing it out in various sentences. Writing it out 10 times gets monotonous, so try putting it into 5-10 different sentences, both written and verbally. That way, it becomes engrained in your mind :)

As for verbs and their conjugaisons, quizlet is the best way to go about it, but also try incorporating it into your written work, using them in various contexts. Write out different sentences using different conjugaisons in different tenses. Unfortunately learning this stuff will get boring and repetitive, but we all have to do it! 

I wish you the best of luck, and let me know if you need more help :)

• 2 months later...

Use Anki. It's a spaced repetition software, so you can make your own flashcards or use pre-made ones and when you study, the software keeps track of which vocab you've mastered and which vocab you haven't, and gives you review on vocab according to that. I've used it since grade 10, and my French vocabulary has improved a lot - especially for reading. 

Hello!

I have problems with vocabulary too! I speak two languages and learn another two, so it´s a real problem.

What I recommend you is to conjugate the verbs MANY times, as many times as you need to learn them. In French pronunciation is really important since you don´t pronounce the words as you write them. So while you are writing each word you should be pronouncing it.

I also recommend you to separate the ¨types¨ of verbs, there are verbs in group 1, 2 and 3.

For other than verbs, you should find words that might be in other language or sound like the language that you speak. For me, it was way easier to learn in German that the verb senden means to send, schicken took me more time to learn the conjugation and usage because it sounds nothing like English or Spanish.

Bon chance!