Urgent Help please! Math-choices?

=-=

Hello :)

I am currently in the beginning of the second year of IB, and thinking of changing from Math SL to Math studies.

Because..,

-I got a passing grade of 3 on my end of IB year 1 exam:(

-I really dislike math

-Mathematics isn't required at university since I am planning to major in psychology or liberal arts.

But, my school is not letting me change...

Any advices? Anything would help!

Also, I was wondering if you guys know of anyone was in a similar situation? That would really strengthen my case.

It's not really your faculty advisers' decision to the subjects you can/want to take. They can give you advice but can't force you into doing something you don't want to

I agree with you! but they are in charge of all subject changes, so if they are against it, theres nothing I can do

Well, you can always try to improve and practice. SL Math isn't that hard. All you have to do is keep up with the topics and review them constantly to achieve a good grade.

yeah thats also true..but i just don't want to risk it, since the entry requirements are indeed quite high-38-39.

If you don't feel comfortable with taking Math SL, you should talk seriously with your IB coordinator and explain the reasons why you are planning to take Math Studies. The predicted grade that the teacher said is not always the correct one

I have, I even got my parents involved, but they seemed to be extremely keen on me staying in SL and is not letting me switch

That's awful, because i don't think there's much you can do since they're the ones in charge of notifying the IB the courses that you're taking. May be your coordinator see a potential in you for math ^_^  you should try to take more past papers of ib, if you think it well, in Math SL you just need to stick with the formulas.

That's awful, because i don't think there's much you can do since they're the ones in charge of notifying the IB the courses that you're taking. May be your coordinator see a potential in you for math ^_^  you should try to take more past papers of ib, if you think it well, in Math SL you just need to stick with the formulas.

Awful indeed. Thanks for you advice tho!

Hey there!
I was in Math SL last year and i got a 3 as well on my end of IB1 year exam, but my teacher told me she would predict me with a 5 because that's what she believed i could get. However, i wasn't sure that i could get a 5 so i changed into Math Studies and now i am predicted with a 7! :D Since you have Biology HL you don't need Math SL for applying to psychology, you can easily change to studies without any problem. Also, if you are not sure you can get a 5 in Math SL change immediately because if i recall correctly UCL doesn't accept a grade lower than 5 in any subject. 
Best of luck!  :) 

Hey there!

I was in Math SL last year and i got a 3 as well on my end of IB1 year exam, but my teacher told me she would predict me with a 5 because that's what she believed i could get. However, i wasn't sure that i could get a 5 so i changed into Math Studies and now i am predicted with a 7! :D Since you have Biology HL you don't need Math SL for applying to psychology, you can easily change to studies without any problem. Also, if you are not sure you can get a 5 in Math SL change immediately because if i recall correctly UCL doesn't accept a grade lower than 5 in any subject. 

Best of luck!  :) 

How did you manage to switch? Can I PM you about this?