Any tips for starting the IB?

pezza349

I apologise in advance if I do not index this question correctly as I am new to these forums and just wanted some advice.

I am about to start the IB program, my subjects are as follows;

1. Ab-initio French

2. Maths SL

3. Chemistry SL

4. Economics HL

5. English HL

6. Film Studies HL

I am sort of nervous about starting the IB. I was wondering if any of the more experience IB students could give me some advice either about study/preparation for a specific subject or organisation for the IB in general. I am also interested in finding out if anyone uses a particular note taking method (e.g. the Cornell method of note-taking) and what their study methods are for specific subjects.

Additionally any tips for combating procrastination (as I am a chronic procrastinator) would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 months later...

No need to start preparing before you start, 2 years is plenty of time to cover all the material in the programme. Your course selection looks interesting and manageable, and if you're genuinely interested in the subjects you're taking, it always makes life easier :) 

When it comes to taking notes, it's a very personal thing, so you should try a few and see what works best for you. I used different methods for different subjects (e.g. in Chemistry, I took quite a lot of notes throughout the 2 years, but I don't think I even looked at them when revising for the exam, because the Study Guide was more than enough). 

Definitely agree with the post above about taking notes being very personal. I tend to take my notes in a pretty relaxed form (just bullet points and indentations stuff like that), but in maths I write verbatim what my teacher puts on the board because I don't really understand maths if I write it in my own words. I can't stress this enough though: take detailed notes and make sure they're organised: you're going to need to be able to look back at your notes in two years time and know what you were on about!

In terms of the workload just try your best to stay on top of it. Don't leave things to the last minute, as tempting as it might be. The more effort you put in now the more your teachers will be able to help you! On the subject of teachers, don't be afraid to go to them for extra help. Even with subjects you're doing well in, go to the teacher and talk about how you can get better. History is by far my strongest class but I talk to my teacher all the time about how to get my essays that bit better.

I'm taking English HL, so the best advice I can give you there is to do the reading! It's really tempting to skive off and just read a summary, but don't do that. It'll hurt you in the long run. If you struggle at all with close reading try to get that sorted out ASAP, it'll make your life a lot easier (trust me, I only just really got the hang of it with poetry and I wish I'd done it sooner). 

For French (I'm in SL, but I think I can still give some advice here), make a vocab list and write down grammar rules. The rules can get confusing at times and there are a lot to remember, so write them all in one place. Whenever you learn a verb, write down the conjugations. All of this will just mean you can really quickly go back and refresh your memory.