Is FIlm SL difficult?

Kevin Chan

I love films and I study about it in free time for fun. I heard there will be a lot of writing and analysing stuff in IB Film, and no matter SL or HL we have to make an individual project (a short film). Is Film SL more difficult than Drama SL? Is it suitable to study this course online? Does it has a final exam?

• 2 months later...

I'm in Film HL and absolutely love it. I'll try and answer everything you've asked

1. First off I love films too and I watch and study stuff in my free time, the great thing about IB Film is you do watch quite a few old film (and some newer ones if you choose) in your IS and you Oral Presentation. 

2. That being said, yes, there is quite a bit of writing. The biggest thing is your IS which is writing a documentary script. It's a lot of research and a decent amount of writing, but it is not as bad as it first seems.

3. That being said all the project lengths are not that different between SL and HL, and, to be honest, the HL ones still seem short. I had a lot more to write and say and can't imagine the shorter constraints SL has. 

4. The final film you have to do is your only problem with doing this course online. If you have a good camera (dslr quality), and you have an editing program (I suggest premiere for sure...do not use imovie) then you can for sure do the course online. You just need to make sure you have the supplies you need, know the requirements, and make a few practice short films before the final.

5. From my friends who are in Theatre, I think Film is easier. I honestly find it quite easy, but still very enjoyable. I would choose Film for sure!

6. Finally, no final exam. Best part by far, you will love it come exam time.

Hope that all helps, feel free to ask me more questions and I will help as best I can!!

• Like 1