How would I go about forming a good extended essay question [ENGLISH]

Ungifted

I have decided the general form of my question, but for the life of me I cannot seem to get a question worth 4000 words of analysis. I have selected 4 possible books I would like to write about including:

• All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
  • Night by Elie Wiesal
  • All Quiet on the Western front by Erich Maria Remarque
  • Lord of the Flies by William Golding

My first possible question I came up with is:

How does Anthony Doerr's novel "All the Light We Cannot See" treat the topic of humanity as opposed/compared to William Golding's Lord of The Flies

Would that suffice, or am I approaching this the wrong way? Some help would be greatly appreciated!

I have decided the general form of my question, but for the life of me I cannot seem to get a question worth 4000 words of analysis. I have selected 4 possible books I would like to write about including:

• All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
  • Night by Elie Wiesal
  • All Quiet on the Western front by Erich Maria Remarque
  • Lord of the Flies by William Golding

My first possible question I came up with is:

How does Anthony Doerr's novel "All the Light We Cannot See" treat the topic of humanity as opposed/compared to William Golding's Lord of The Flies

Would that suffice, or am I approaching this the wrong way? Some help would be greatly appreciated!

I think it would be good to have your RQ focus on a specific motif or something, so that way your topic is technique oriented which is something you should aim for in an English EE. Maybe you can look at a motif both these works share in common about the theme you had in mind? 

Also, try and see what your supervisor thinks. It's just my opinion that an English EE questions should be technique oriented based on looking at some EE exemplars' topics. It's always good to get a second opinion.