Switch from Bio HL to B&M HL.

I am currently in my first term of IB and my current subject combination is

-Bio HL

-Chem HL

-Economics HL

-English lang and lit SL

-German ab initio SL

-Maths SL

It is early in the term but I am getting a bit worried about my two sciences at HL, and was wondering, if my marks drop, is it recommended to go to B&M HL. I am uncertain as to if I should do this as apparently B&M is also ROTE learning and also quite difficult.

Thanks

It depends on these questions:

a) Do you like B&M? Have you looked through the syllabus/textbook/any other resources, and if yes, do you like the content?

b) Do you enjoy Biology?

c) What do you intend to do in the future? Does it need Biology or B&M as a prerequisite subject?

d) Would you consider yourself to be stronger in the Sciences or in the Humanities?

Once you have your answers for the questions above, let us know! Otherwise, it might be pretty hard to help :(

During terms 1-3 (Pre-IB), I did study well and all terms got above 90% for the exams, and I guess I have to enjoy it to study for it.

I also enjoy Biology, so that doesn't really help, but I want to go into medicine, but Medicine in Australia only required Chemistry, which I already do. Also I don't really think I am stronger in either, but instead equal.  I was just wondering how difficult B&M HL is in comparison to Bio HL

If you want to do Medicine, tbh I would say it's safer to take Biology over B&M. I've heard that Chemistry is favoured for Medicine in Australia, but I think bio would be more relevant to the study of Medicine. Also, just in case you decide to study in other countries, e.g. UK, you'll prob need Bio (Although a few unis do accept just chemistry alone)

I do not take B&M, so I am unable to tell you about how difficult it is in comparison to Bio HL. I took Business Studies in my iGCSEs, and my other friends who did the same and are studying B&M now claim that it's an extension of the things learned during iGCSEs (I'm not sure about Pre-IB though :( )

I do take Bio HL, and there is a lot of memorising involved, which could be one factor to take into consideration :) I am not going to deny that there are arguments claiming that B&M is in fact easier, however a) I cannot validate that as I don't take it, and b) It may depend on the type of learner you are. If you're better in Sciences, then maybe studying humanities might be tougher and vice versa. The fact that you're equally good at both- I personally would take Bio HL, just cause you're taking medicine and it does seem more relevant to take Bio for such a course. :)

At the end of the day, if you're set on studying in Australia and you're sure that only Chem is needed, choose what you'll feel happier in!

I have a friend who takes Bio HL as well, she loves the subject and is planning to study Medicine as well. She's even doing her EE in the subject of Biology. :) Chances are, if you're truly passionate about studying Medicine, you'll probably like the Biology course as well (although I might be wrong about this, after all I'm not intending on studying Medicine :) ).

• Like 1