IA guide and resources (2016 - onwards)

Msj Chem

• 2 weeks later...

I would say that the background information is an important part of the IA - you need to show that you understand the topic you are investigating. 

Acceptable sources include textbooks, (reputable) websites, journals, etc. Be sure to fully reference your sources using a recognised reference style (MLA, Harvard, etc). 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi I am in IB Chemistry SL. My teacher told me that I should do a simple stoichiometric lab for the IA. I decided to do it on Lead 2 Nitrate and Potassium Iodide; which yields a precipitate of Lead 2 Nitrate. I used exactly the same process as a stoichiometry lab we had already done at the beginning of the year. Is this too simple of a project? Also, I was told I had to make my IA unique, is the fact that I did the same lab as in class going to affect me in terms of uniqueness?

14 minutes ago, Diego Garcia said:

Hi I am in IB Chemistry SL. My teacher told me that I should do a simple stoichiometric lab for the IA. I decided to do it on Lead 2 Nitrate and Potassium Iodide; which yields a precipitate of Lead 2 Nitrate. I used exactly the same process as a stoichiometry lab we had already done at the beginning of the year. Is this too simple of a project? Also, I was told I had to make my IA unique, is the fact that I did the same lab as in class going to affect me in terms of uniqueness?

Firstly, let me say that it's difficulty for me to make a judgement on your IA as I don't know the background or anything. 

But, unless you are doing some kind of investigation, you are not likely to score highly on the IA. From what you have written, you are simply making a precipitate of lead(II) nitrate. What is your research question? What exactly are you investigating? 

I measured the mass of the precipitate and then found the percent yield. I did several things to minimize errors and to maximize the yield (such as bioling and filtration). I am simply creating a precipitate, separating the precipitate from the other compound and then collecting and measuring the mass of the precipitate. 

Is this an actual investigation? If not, how can I turn it into an investigation? Should I just do a database IA since I do not have much time left? What can I do? Please help. My teacher has not been much help.

9 hours ago, Diego Garcia said:

I measured the mass of the precipitate and then found the percent yield. I did several things to minimize errors and to maximize the yield (such as bioling and filtration). I am simply creating a precipitate, separating the precipitate from the other compound and then collecting and measuring the mass of the precipitate. 

Is this an actual investigation? If not, how can I turn it into an investigation? Should I just do a database IA since I do not have much time left? What can I do? Please help. My teacher has not been much help.

I think it's important that you read the internal assessment criteria, if you haven't already. When you do, see if what you have done for your IA matches the criteria (and to what level). I'm sorry but as I am not your teacher, I cannot really advise you what to do. I suggest that you talk to your teacher about this if you worried. I hope this helps. 

Edited by Msj Chem

• 5 months later...
On 11/24/2015 at 3:33 PM, Msj Chem said:

This thread could be used for the new syllabus IA from 2016 onwards. Please note that I cannot help individual students with their IA.

The choice of topic should be your own work so please do not ask for suggestions for your IA. 

hi, im not here to get a topic or anything. i already have sort of a plan. for my IA, imp planning on testing the efficiency of certain sacrificial metals and all through various environments bla bla bla. but, my teacher said i have to use some technology in my thing like a data logger and whatever. so, do u have any suggestions on what technology my type of experiment would allow me to use. to whoever replies...

THANK YOU SO MUCH

2 hours ago, talalrulez said:

hi, im not here to get a topic or anything. i already have sort of a plan. for my IA, imp planning on testing the efficiency of certain sacrificial metals and all through various environments bla bla bla. but, my teacher said i have to use some technology in my thing like a data logger and whatever. so, do u have any suggestions on what technology my type of experiment would allow me to use. to whoever replies...

THANK YOU SO MUCH

There is no specific requirement in the criteria that students must use data logging equipment. However if your teacher has said that you must use it, then you should use whatever equipment that allows you to measure your dependent variable. 

• 1 month later...

From the May 2016 subject report (copyright IB)

Personal Engagement:

The overwhelming majority of students managed to achieve at least one point for Personal Engagement with many securing both marks.

There was in many cases an over-emphasis on the first part of the descriptor and often the students efforts to justify their choice of research question and topic spilled over into overlong and contrived narratives of early childhood holidays, school excursions and suchlike. These non-scientific preambles should be kept to a minimum. The commonest limitation to achievement was where students failed to show genuine curiosity by presenting a  very undemanding research question where the outcome too self-evident, such as determining how the mass of alcohol combusted affects the heat energy evolved or whether time current passes affects the mass change of an electrode during electrolysis. Where students presented a research question that reflected a question that they genuinely appeared interested in answering and couldnt already be expected to know the answer then credit was easily given.

The second part of the descriptor regarding personal input and initiative is evidenced across the whole report and here the outcome was again variable. A good number of students did show plenty of personal input and initiative in the designing and implementation or presentation of the investigation but it was not uncommon for students to simply repeat a commonplace school investigation with a procedure that had not been adapted or extended in any way. Another indication that students were not fully engaged was when there were clear limitations in the initial methodology that could have been quickly and easily addressed during the process but the student made no attempt to do so. More successful students evidenced input by applying a known technique to an interesting real world situation and then by fully using their time to carry out trials at plenty of values of independent variable as well as including repeats rather than confining themselves to the simple five trials as often found in the old internal assessment framework.

Edited by Msj Chem
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...