Which option are you studying? (2016-onwards)

Msj Chem

New syllabus options poll  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Which option are you studying?

• Option A - Materials
    • Option B - Human biochemistry
    • Option C - Energy
    • Option D - Medicinal chemistry

With the first exams for the new syllabus coming in May 2016, you could ask questions and post resources for the option topics here. 

For option B, I have a complete set of videos for SL and HL.

I will be working on videos for option C next. 

Option B SL:

http://www.msjchem.com/sl-option-b.html

Option B HL:

http://www.msjchem.com/hl-option-b.html

Option C SL (almost finished SL, now working on HL) 

http://www.msjchem.com/sl-option-c.html

Option C HL

http://www.msjchem.com/hl-option-c.html

Edited by Msj Chem
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
On 02/05/2017 at 8:32 AM, Marta Biniek said:

what can happen if take other option during exam that I did not studied at school?

You are free to answer whichever option you want in the exam. My advice would be to answer the option that you have studied before of course.

I'm taking Option C, but we've studied it for about a week in class... we had some curriculum time planning issues this year because it's the first year my school has offered IB Chem. I have absolutely no clue what I'm saying when I answer any of the practice things we've done in class. 

1 hour ago, erika__ said:

I'm taking Option C, but we've studied it for about a week in class... we had some curriculum time planning issues this year because it's the first year my school has offered IB Chem. I have absolutely no clue what I'm saying when I answer any of the practice things we've done in class. 

http://www.msjchem.com/sl-option-c.html

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Befuddled said:

My career choice would be Medicine, and my school has only just begun thinking about which options to do.

I believe Medicinal Chemistry would be the obvious choice, but is it so?

Or would I be better off doing Energy?

I'm going into the medical field as well, and we are doing Biochemistry as our option (though we *might* switch to medicinal chemistry). In my humble opinion it is the easiest for someone who does Biology HL, as many aspects of it are going to be review sessions due to the fact that a lot has been covered in depth in biology (maybe not as much the chemical side, but the different types of protein structure etc... all been done!). Option D would be a logical option too, though it depends whether your classmates are willing to do it as well. In my school we split the options between those doing biology and physics, as those doing physics prefer doing Energy for their option, whereas biology students prefer biochemistry/medicinal chemistry.

My teacher believes Energy is the least interesting option overall, though...

1 hour ago, mac117 said:

I'm going into the medical field as well, and we are doing Biochemistry as our option (though we *might* switch to medicinal chemistry). In my humble opinion it is the easiest for someone who does Biology HL, as many aspects of it are going to be review sessions due to the fact that a lot has been covered in depth in biology (maybe not as much the chemical side, but the different types of protein structure etc... all been done!). Option D would be a logical option too, though it depends whether your classmates are willing to do it as well. In my school we split the options between those doing biology and physics, as those doing physics prefer doing Energy for their option, whereas biology students prefer biochemistry/medicinal chemistry.

My teacher believes Energy is the least interesting option overall, though...

Ahh. Well my class is made up of 2 Biology HL students and 1 Physics HL student (I know tiny class). The thing is my teacher's been a Physics teacher so he enjoys the energy topic.But me and the other Bio student want to do either option B or esp. D. Hopefully, majority wins!

So my question is, would it be significantly beneficial for uni if I do option D?

If not, like you said option B is revision, easier stuff is welcome by me :D 

8 minutes ago, Befuddled said:

Ahh. Well my class is made up of 2 Biology HL students and 1 Physics HL student (I know tiny class). The thing is my teacher's been a Physics teacher so he enjoys the energy topic.But me and the other Bio student want to do either option B or esp. D. Hopefully, majority wins!

So my question is, would it be significantly beneficial for uni if I do option D?

If not, like you said option B is revision, easier stuff is welcome by me :D 

I am not sure whether it'd benefit uni application as they don't see which option you studied. In terms of basic knowledge it would definitely be helpful to some extent, though uni will definitely go much more in depth ;) 

5 minutes ago, mac117 said:

I am not sure whether it'd benefit uni application as they don't see which option you studied. In terms of basic knowledge it would definitely be helpful to some extent, though uni will definitely go much more in depth ;) 

I meant in terms of knowledge not application :P

• 9 months later...

Up until this year, my teacher has not offered our IB chem class a choice for which option to do. Hence, when we were in Year 1, we were told that we were doing biochem, because, at the time, most IB chem students also took bio. So, we did our SL year with Option B.

Because I didn't start IB bio until I was a senior, I was very lost. I also am planning on going to pharmacy school after I get my undergrad degree, so I asked if I could learn Option D on my own. So, I'm learning that alongside Option B.

For the record, in my opinion, Option B is easier (if you're in bio) and Option D is much more fun.

2 hours ago, Sawyer S. said:

Up until this year, my teacher has not offered our IB chem class a choice for which option to do. Hence, when we were in Year 1, we were told that we were doing biochem, because, at the time, most IB chem students also took bio. So, we did our SL year with Option B.

Because I didn't start IB bio until I was a senior, I was very lost. I also am planning on going to pharmacy school after I get my undergrad degree, so I asked if I could learn Option D on my own. So, I'm learning that alongside Option B.

For the record, in my opinion, Option B is easier (if you're in bio) and Option D is much more fun.

Looking back Option D is definitely more appealing, although I did Option B since that was what my teacher wanted to teach. Ironically I ended up not doing well on my Paper 3 despite also doing Biology HL. That said, my friend who self-studied Option C as a Physics HL student that couldn't grasp Biology finished his Paper 3 strongly. It's all about how interested you are in the topic imo that drives you to do well.