urgent help for course selection needed!

6ix god

I've decided on doing the IB Diploma Programme, and at my school the IB program is fairly new (I think they switched from AP to IB in 2010). Since it is fairly new that means we don't have a large variety of courses to choose from. After high school I want to go into science for my undergrad then go to pharmacy or medical school. Although I am 95% sure I'm going to be following this route, I could also go into engineering. The courses I'm planning on taking are:

English Lit HL (school only offers HL)

French B SL

Psychology HL or History HL (school only offers HL group 3's. I just want to do the easier one. Any suggestions?)

Math SL (school only offers SL)

the science courses are messed up. the combination I'm leaning towards is Chemistry HL and Sports, Exercise, and Health Sciences SL

the science courses my school has are:

Bio HL

Chemistry HL and SL

Physics SL (really hard apparently)

Sports, Exercise, and Health Sciences SL 

I need help deciding my group 3 and group 4. Any suggestions will help :) But I need help fast! Applications are due soon

Edited by 6ix god

If I were you, I would take History and Bio HL and then Chemistry SL for your second science. I've heard that the Psychology HL exams are pretty hard. Bio + Chem is always a good option because they compliment each other, but I guess sciences are up to you.

Edited by The00333

generally its accepted history is the hardest group 3 (reflected in grade boundaries where ~65%=7 while most subjects are ~70-75%=7 so its really hard to do very well in it). at my school only one person ever has gotten a 7 in history. psychology is very doable and you have to literally do nothing to fail it (in my opinion).

also by the time you do ib the psychology (and maybe history) syllabus will have changed from the current one so its kind of hard to judge which will be harder for you.

for group 4, i wouldn't recommend you take SEHS because i think its regarded as one of the "softer" sciences (i hate describing a subject as soft but essentailly it means a university might look less favourably on SEHS compared to bio/chem/phys)

if you want to go into engineering, i think you should prioritise physics but if you want to go into med/pharmacy you should priorities bio and chem. look at universities you plan on applying to and see if there are any requirements for subjects you have to have taken but i don't think that matters too much for post-grad? basically i would recommend any combination of bio/chem/phys that you are comfortable.

You will find it hard trying to find a university that would accept you into an engineering programme without maths and physics HL. So if you end up wanting to do that, it won't be easy. 

If you want to go to any type of science, HL science subject (and not sport and exercise science, but Biology or Chemistry), should find itself on your list. 

Out of History and Psychology, Psych is easier to score well in. 

• 2 weeks later...

My HL's are English, French, and History, and my SL's are biology, math, and art. You seem to have similar courses, and one thing I can say is that I am having a much easier time than my classmates who are managing two HL sciences (eg. Chem and bio HL). If you want to take double sciences, don't take them both in HL unless you need it for university because it'll be a lot more work. French HL is good if you have a solid understanding of it already, and are already comfortable with grammar and vocab.