Extended Essay

Survival Robot

No it is no necessary to do an experiment, your EE in physics could also be:

• Data-based: location and extraction of raw or processed data, not collected directly by the student, which is then further refined and analysed.

• Theoretical: development of a quantitative or semi-quantitative description of some physical phenomenon, exercise of the model, predictions about its behaviour and limitations.

• Survey: formulation of a cohesive, ordered, analytical and supported (qualitative and quantitative) discussion of the topic.

• Combination: some combination of the approaches listed above

• Source: http://production-app2.ibo.org/publication/19/part/4/chapter/21

Nevertheless, I know that experimental EEs are more likely to get higher grades. I did a data-based EE in physics and got a B, so it is up to you :D

I will be writing by EE on Computer Science, focusing on cryptography. It should not focus on the effects cryptography has on society.

I was thinking about using the following topic

"In what areas does Quantum Cryptography have advantages/disadvantages when compared to various other methods of encryption?"

I could discuss how the growing era of technology demands more secure forms of encryption, and also compare it to RSA and DES encryption.

I have approximately 15 hours of working time to complete this essay, and have a good understanding of the subject in these areas. Can it be done?

Hi! I'm new to this site and just getting started on EE. I really love magazines so I was thinking about doing something on that ... I talked to my TOK teacher and depending on what direction I go with it, it could be history or art or literature or something else entirely. So, has anyone seen an EE having to do with periodicals before?

Hi! I'm new to this site and just getting started on EE. I really love magazines so I was thinking about doing something on that ... I talked to my TOK teacher and depending on what direction I go with it, it could be history or art or literature or something else entirely. So, has anyone seen an EE having to do with periodicals before?

Yup. A friend of mine is working with magazines. Don't remember her exact question, but you could always choose a specific magazine and analyze its images to see how it reflected that decade/cultural indicators or something like that. It's somewhat generic, but if you choose the right magazine and the right country/period/culture it could be really interesting. This idea would be media. But you could still do it in history, art, or literature if you prefer.

Hey IB community,

Unfortunately, the EE is inching closer by the minute, due for may 2013, im doing mine in economics.

and i have a pretty good idea of what I am going to do, i just wanted to hear what you guys are/were writing about.

I heard some cool stuff like, "modelling a taco", but im all ears.

So tell me!

Damn I have to come up with an EE topic in Biology.. You have any suggestions ?

We're not here to give you a topic! We're here to give you hints in the right direction.

I'm planning on doing my EE in Biology too and all my ideas have been developed from either something I've read on the internet or something related to a topic studied in Biology HL lessons. Obviously the EE has to be original and therefore cannot be something that you've done in a Biology IA, but don't fall into the trap of thinking that an experiment based science EE has to be revolutionary! It has to have a purpose, yes, but this doesn't have to be something unrealistic because, firstly, you're a 16-18 year old IB student and, secondly, you're school presumably doesn't have high tech equipment.

Best of luck

• Like 3