Should I stay in SL math or move down to studies?

Kitkat22

Hi, I am taking IB right now and I chose standard level math. However, I am starting to doubt myself because I am not doing so well. I have done two tests of the first two topics and I have got just above the average of my class, where the average is very low. I am getting level 4s at this moment.

I have got a pass in IGCSE extended math and with that said, I am not gifted in math. It took me a whole lot of revision and dedication to get what I got in the exam. I had a chat with my mom before school started and we agreed that I should give SL math a shot.

One of the big reason why I chose SL math was because I wanted to be a pilot in the future and my parents were the ones who inspired me as they are cabin attendants. It may be very random as I take HL art and music, but my plan was that I go on to university in the UK and having a BA in The Arts. After that, I would come back to my hometown and train to become a pilot. If that does not work out, I will hopefully find a profession to do with The Arts.

I have talked to a few pilots from internships that I had been and they had said that it is better if I do take mathematics that are more difficult so that it will be easier and useful, but either way I will have to learn everything again since they will teach you it.

One of the problem is that HL art and music takes up so much time. It has been about 3-4 months since I have started school and I have no art pieces done because I have been spending most of my time on math. 

Another problem is that if I take math studies and I still want to be a pilot even after I have graduated with a BA in The Arts, would I be capable of pursuing to be a pilot? I know that question is mostly up to me but with all this idea and plan, I am honestly scared if I had chosen the wrong decision.

In the beginning I wanted to do SL math because I thought it would be useful for my dream of being a pilot, but I am starting to doubt my abilities because I am basically failing. My friends who got an A* in IGCSE math but doing studies and they tell me it is like IGCSE all over again. I honestly don't know what to do. If I do studies, that means I have more time for Art, music and the sports I love, but what if that's not enough to be a pilot?

I am super sorry for this long message, but I really need your help as it has been boggling my mind for a while now and it is quite hard to talk with my mom about it.

I forgot to mention: I have to get a scholarship/financial aid or else I can't go to university.

I would recommend you keep SL math, since according to my relative who is a pilot said piloting a plane is "applied physics", and also that there is math and physics involved in training.

While SL math might not be requirement for entering the course it will definitely help, especially if you don't plan to take any math courses during your bachelor. Do you take physics?

Another thing is that, are you taking 7 subjects? Because if you are not having two art subjects means you are missing either group 1, group 2, group 3 or group 4 subject and therefore will NOT get IB diploma unless you have some kind of special arrangement with IBO (I have never heard of anything like that).

• Like 1

Welcome to IBS!

Adding to what Emilia1320 said
Time: If you are pursuing the diploma and not just individual courses, taking two group 6 HLs would be super super time consuming. It might be a good idea to do only one. It is hard to recommend a solution without knowing details of your workload and time spent outside of class. For example do you work part-time? Do you have to travel far to and from school? Is there a lot of housework / chores to be done at your house?

Math help: While we can't help you much with art over the Internet, you are more than welcomed to post math questions and we would be happy to help you out. Also, don't let others' performances (better or worse than you) deter you from doing your best or believe in yourself. Try to befriend others who are motivating themselves and overcoming challenges and hopefully they can make you believe in yourself, again. 

Art/Music/Passion: There may be opportunities for you to take art or music without making them heavy HL courses. I encourage you to not to give up your sports because of math. I think doing your favourite activities will reduce stress. 

Post-secondary options: You should keeping talking to those pilots! They are excellent source of information. For example they can tell you what education background their colleagues have, and that can tell you if Bachelor of Arts is suitable. Sometimes scholarship are need-based rather than merit-based. You should definitely explore all scholarship options at a somewhat regular basis. 

Becoming a pilot: You shouldn't directly draw connections between high school grades and career options ten, twenty years down the road. My math teacher recounted us the time when one of his "worse" students left IB but became one of the top students at the university. 

In summary you should
Do the activities you want despite challenges.
Spend more time with others who are overcoming challenges and motivating themselves to success. 
Keep trying at math
Explore scholarship opportunities and post-secondary options. Keep in touch with the pilots. Continue explore education options which may be atypical, including going into pilot/aviation with BA. 
Before the end of the school year/semester, think little of having to leave SL Math but you should try YOUR BEST at math and anything else, not someone else's best.
Over the summer spend some time to decide if you want to continue in SL Math and whether this is a good decision for your post-secondary plans. 

• Like 1