Maths IA photography and maths

Hadassah

Hello :)

I take maths SL and my homework for the winter break was to come up with a topic for the IA. 

I'm considering f/stops in photography which has something to do with geometric sequences and some mathematical explanation why these stop numbers make sense. It seems good enough, I guess, but my concern is that it's not very authentic. 

May I have your opinions, please? 

Hadassah

• 3 weeks later...

The authenticity doesn't matter. Whatever you do, would have been done by someone so no matter what topic you choose, it will not be original. No one expects you to solve any of the unsolved problems.

I'm not very familiar with photography so I don't know how to apply math to that, but if you can do it, then its great!

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
7 hours ago, amb said:

How did that work out for you? I'm also contemplating of doing my IA on this topic but I'm not sure whether it's math-y enough (if that makes sense) 

I got 17 (moderated to 16) marks, the 'use of mathematics' part wasnt bad

make sure you explain everything in detail, such as technical terms and definitions. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 9/13/2018 at 11:15 AM, amb said:

Thanks! 

I just told my math teacher about the idea and she thought it has potential. However, she wants me to have a clear aim for my investigation, and I'm not quite sure what that aim could be. Any suggestions? 

I need an aim as well, did you end up using the idea? If so, what was your aim?

• 2 years later...