Math in economics

This is more of a math question but I really need opinions from an economics perspective. 

I'm trying to do an economics based question for a math IA, but I'm trying to reach that "Mathematics is beyond the level of this course" level in SL. So, for anyone taking math HL and economics, is there anything I should learn to make a diminishing returns/productivity model more complex and try to get a higher mark? For example I've heard of l'Hopitals rule and Newton's method but don't know much about what they can be used for. So far it's simply using derivatives on a graph and I don't think that's going to get a very high mark

You could try to do something along the lines of comparing the gini index and lorenz curve of different countries.

But honestly, it all depends on how you analyze and expand a topic.

A seemingly simple topic could be turned into something original, creative and fascinating IA whereas choosing a difficult topic from an area that you have no idea whatsoever about could lead to a disaster.

Reading along some econ articles if you really want to find a topic, maybe go through the textbook for some key terms that grab your attention.

Hope you find my advice helpful :)