[Help!] Ad Valorem tariff diagram?

Hello, I'm currently working on my third economics IA on international economics but I encountered some problems with graphing. 

I want to illustrate the effect of change from per unit tariff to Ad valorem tariff but I'm not sure how to graph the diagrams?

Does anyone know how to distinguish 'per unit tariff diagram' from 'Ad valorem tariff diagram'?

Thank you so much in advance!

• Like 1

Hello Ebu,

While what King112 says is true for upward sloping supply curves, if you're using a perfectly elastic (horizontal) Sworld supply curve in your international trade (open economy) diagram, then the ad valorem (percentage) tax/tariff will be represented by an Stariff curve which is parallel the original Sworld curve. This is because a given percentage tax will always increase the S curve by that % (of the price) at each quantity sold, so when the P is the same at each quantity, then the S curve including the % tariff will also be horizontal.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Good luck with your commentary,

EconDaddy

IB Economics examiner, teacher and tutor

www.econdaddy.com

• Like 1

The supply curve in an ad valorem tax diverges from the original curve,unlike a parallel shift in a regular tax.

I wasn't referring to the microeconomic context but rather an international economic situation of tariff (more specific than tax).

The supply curve in an ad valorem tax diverges from the original curve,unlike a parallel shift in a regular tax.

I wasn't referring to the microeconomic context but rather an international economic situation of tariff (more specific than tax).

Oh, as in a tariff is imposed on a good?

Then very honestly, if I were you, i would just draw the regular tariff graph (the one with the world price is perfectly elastic and the tariff is above the world price line).

Hope this helps

Cheers

King112