Need help for MUN

Kunal

So i got the country algeria and the topic is "Human rights violation in prison"

so the country i got is said to be not too keen on human rights and therefore i am most probably against human rights for prisoners but i need to pass a resolution but i need ideas of resolution that wont be rejected immediatly.

need more information just post.

I need to pass a resolution because i want to get the best delegate but i cant find any ideas for resolution which i can think without violating my forign policy. I am not keen on violating my forign policy because the others can easily reject me for going against it.

What is Algeria's foreign policy when it comes to contact with other countries and stuff like that? Cause the way they treat their prisoners is not foreign policy, it's internal policy. Do they have a different stand about it on the international forum e.g. do they deny mistreating prisoners? Do they say it's ok? You could maybe think of passing a resolution saying every country should have the right to determine its own policy, but international courts should adhere to human rights? Whatever you do, bear in mind that China, the permanent member of the security council with veto rights is not exactly always in line with human rights and they're not very shy about it. USA also doesn't like to be told what to do. You could try to get USA and China to co-submit the resolution with you (don't remember what it's called), which would give you higher chances of getting it passed. 

I like your idea about getting china and US on my side but i am not able to find any information of their stance on human rights in prisons but everywhere online it says they are refusing to co-operate with the UN regarding human rights and continue to hinder it, so therefore i assume that they are against human rights for prisoners ( as it says that they torture people and other things). I do not fully understand the resolution you are suggesting can you please elabroate.

What council is this? I'm assuming its not Security Council because they haven't had a seat since 2005.

I think what Gaby is suggesting that your resolution could be about that nations have the right to determine their policy on inmates rights in prison. However, international courts (such as ICC) must adhere to the The Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

Also, do "second world" and "third world" countries make up most of the committee? If so, you can most likely can get them to band together and outvote  US/China/Whatever. Possibly, due to the fact that there's been many complaints by human rights groups about treatment of inmates in most of the these countries.

I am part of the UN HRC ( Human rights council)

But how can i vote out an veto power.

So you are suggesting that i band together with other countries to get my resolution across.

I like the idea for the resolution.

is there any other advice for a country like algeria ??

Algeria and France have cordial relationships and France is part of the SC. Perhaps consider them as an option.

Also, try to get as many as OIC members as you can to agree with your resolution. It's a pretty big organization in terms of member size and the nations for the most part are on good terms with each other.