Maths HL IA Format

rebecca.vanderm

Hi everyone,

I'm doing IB Maths HL and going to graduate this year & have a question regarding my IA.

My IA is very advanced and it involved me going over a graduate papers and filling in all the blanks & assumptions taken by the author (there were A LOT! I find myself filling between two steps with heaps of intuitive explanations & diagrams) and from the result of the paper (end proof), proving another theorem.

I wanted to know if it is considered plagiarism?

Of course, I'm citing the paper,

but does simply making a paper much much more complete not consist of an IA?

If so, how can I make it consist of an IA?

Thank you!

Rebs

You can cite the paper as a reference. As long as you're doing your own calculations and writing everything on your own, you don't need to worry about plagiarism. You can do your IA on that, I think. What's your topic?

Thanks for your reply.

Its on abstract algebra, game theory & topology.

Basically my IA is like this:

MATHS PAPER (graduate paper):

Let A

Then B

My IA:

Let A:

Knowing, a, b, c & d and considering the following intuitive diagrams,

it follows that B.

So I'm basically filling everything in, but A and B is obviously still part of my text!

Is that OK?

Thanks for your reply!!

Rebs

It seems really good. Technically, you're doing more than what the paper contains,so you're not copying anything as such. And in any case, whatever you do must have been done by someone else before. Like this theorem you're proving, it would have been done by so many people. What they're looking for is how well you do it, not how many people did it before you. So don't worry about the idea not being original that's perfectly fine.

I hope this helped! You can PM me if you want to ask anything else, or refer to my blog. :)

Edited by Sandy