Chemistry IA Computer-based

Uday Patel

Hello people!

The other day I went to see my teacher and ask her about my Chemistry IA. I wanted to do something like an experiment to determine the rate of reaction of something. However, she told me to try find something that is computer-based like a stimulation. That got me thinking quite a bit.

The question is: Has anyone got good grades for computer-based experiments? If so what did you do about? Which is better (computer-based or experiment-based)?

Thanks in advance!

Hello people!

The other day I went to see my teacher and ask her about my Chemistry IA. I wanted to do something like an experiment to determine the rate of reaction of something. However, she told me to try find something that is computer-based like a stimulation. That got me thinking quite a bit.

The question is: Has anyone got good grades for computer-based experiments? If so what did you do about? Which is better (computer-based or experiment-based)?

Thanks in advance!

Umm it's too early to tell which one scores higher to be honest because us 2016 kids are the guinea pigs for this IA :P

I did a database for my chem IA and honestly, which is better depends on your strengths. If you're clumsy with labs like me, a computer based experiment would be a great idea because a lot of things can go horribly wrong with a lab. I know a lot of my friends' labs for the chem IA did not work out well :P

We can't really suggest topics for you, but some possible ideas would be comparing experimental and theoretical data of something, looking at correlations etc. 

Edited by ShootingStar16
  • Like 1

It doesn't matter whether you do it computer or experiment based. From the sample IAs, (if you have them) you can see an example of a simulation based IA that scored around 22, i guess. There are others (experiment based) who scored high as well. Then there are other simulation based that didn't score so well. So I think it depends on your IA and well you fulfill the criteria rather than whether its computer based or not. Mention in you IA why you used the simulation rather than conducting the experiment and you'll be good to go! If you need help with IAs and other stuff, you can get it here.