Tips for a good Supervised Writing?

johanna5308

Hey everyone! I'm doing my first Supervised Writing on Oedipus Rex in a few days, and I'm pretty bad at these kinds of things (in-class essays, literary analysis without preparation, etc.). I'm not planning to write my Written Assignment on the play, but I want to do well since I want to get practice, as well as a good grade (to raise my overall grade haha). Does anybody have any tips on how to do well in these kinds of situations? Any and all help is appreciated :)

Thank you very much!! xx 

Edited by johanna5308

Hey everyone! I'm doing my first Supervised Writing on Oedipus Rex in a few days, and I'm pretty bad at these kinds of things (in-class essays, literary analysis without preparation, etc.). I'm not planning to write my Written Assignment on the play, but I want to do well since I want to get practice, as well as a good grade (to raise my overall grade haha). Does anybody have any tips on how to do well in these kinds of situations? Any and all help is appreciated :)

Thank you very much!! xx 

If you don't like writing without preparation, something that might help is to do a small outline of your essay before actually starting to write it. You know, a simple bullet-point list with:

-thesis statement (what is the point you want to make with the essay?)

-main idea #1 (supporting idea of your thesis- this will be one paragraph)

-main idea #2 (supporting idea #2 - another paragraph)

-counterargument (you might want to include this in a diff. paragraph- a different point of view  to put in your essay.) 

You might also want to jot down some quotes that will help your thesis. And, like my lit. teacher always said: "no quote should float". This means that you need to explain each quote you use: what it means, how it's relevant, what point it's making. 

Another thing that helps me keep track of what I'm writing is to always think about my thesis statement as I write. In every paragraph, I ask myself: how does this connect to my thesis? The reader needs to follow your thought process and link your arguments together, so you need to show him/her this link. How do your ideas all fit? 

I hope these helped! Good luck! (Oedipus Rex shouldn't be too hard; plenty to write about! just remember to plan ahead :)

• 2 months later...