Help with the decision!

kmkr

Hi, I have been studying in IB for one semester and now I found out one of my universities requires Math HL, my teacher says I could do it but I'm not sure. Is it possible to learn a quarter of Math HL stuff I missed in half a year?

If that university is your dream school or there are more than one that mentions maths HL as a prerequisite, go on.

In this case, I guess you'll catch up since most schools usually don't go straight into the hard stuff immediately for maths HL (or at least for schools I know)

Still, though, I guess it would really depend on your interested major in university. What is that you are interested in majoring? 

Personally, though, I wouldn't recommend it. How good are you at maths? If you don't get close to 100% in tests in SL, it might be a challenge.

I know at least five who dropped from HL as they were struggling to cope and are now getting 100% in their test. Honestly, maths HL is just... no.

• Like 1

In this case, I guess you'll catch up since most schools usually don't go straight into the hard stuff immediately for maths HL (or at least for schools I know)

I know at least five who dropped from HL as they were struggling to cope and are now getting 100% in their test. Honestly, maths HL is just... no.

Completely agree. But I also do want to point out the other extreme, happening at my school where literally around 60 out of 70 diploma students take HL Math in Year 2, most of us are not going for a Math major in university.

I think it's a strong sign that you can do it when your math teacher says so.

If you're good at math, you'll easily catch up a semester's worth of work. Plus, you teacher said you could do it, so that's a good indicator as well. Math HL is challenging and its not easy to score. So if you're not looking at a lot of universities requiring math HL or you don't like math, then don't take it. If you can't practice every now and then, you've already lost the battle.