English Lit EE on the Iliad

sophiamitropoulos

Hi guys, 

So my extended essay is for English A, specifically literature. I'm analyzing how the gods of Homer's Iliad are characterized and I briefly compare his characterizations with that of other Greek classic authors. I used Bernard Fagles translated version. My school's IB coordinator, IB English teacher, and my EE supervisor approved all the drafts that I turned in for internal deadlines for nearly two years, but today (Feb. 5) they told me there was an issue with my EE. 

In the IB's extended essay guide it says that for group 1 EEs:

For a Category 1 - Studies of a literary work(s) originally written in the language in which the essay is presented: "The essay must be based on the literature of countries where the language is spoken (that is, all worked discussed will originally have been written in the language of the essay)

For a Category 2 - Studies of a literary work(s) originally written in the language of the essay compared with a literary work(s) originally written in another language: "The essay must be a comparison of at least one literary work originally written in the language of the essay with a literary work or works originally written in a different language to that of the essay and studied in translation"

My work doesn't match these categories 100% and now I'm super worried. If I changed my subject to Classical Greek and Latin (even though my school doesn't offer the course) would I be better off? The only issue with that would be that I read the Iliad in English, not in Greek, so I wouldn't be analyzing/quoting things in Greek.  

All help is greatly appreciated because I'm fearing I won't get my diploma. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I am currently in the process of brainstorming another RQ for my EE as I was advised to change my topic because my RQ was in a grey zone between being acceptable and not after being approved and after submitting my detailed outline. 

I must say changing your subject to a class that is not offered is equally as risky as carrying on with your current topic. Depending on who grades your EE, they might actually give you full marks for your RQ, but we all know that we shouldn't be counting on luck. I was going to do a topic that would've gone under category 3, but the majority of the people my coordinator and EE supervisor consulted said that it would be better that I changed my RQ to be safe. The weird thing though, is that one of those that my teacher consulted was an EE examiner said that he would've given me full marks for my RQ. IB is ambiguous in way that they clearly state that students may choose a topic of their choice and yet they set categories that students must abide with and this is not an issue with English, but with other subjects as well. 

Anyhow, I feel like with some alteration on your topic, you might be able to continue with your topic without making any further changes. Why don't you ask your supervisor/s if you can do Homer's Iliad compared to a novel that contains similar motifs/themes/characteristics with Iliad that's originally written in English. This way, it will go under category 2 and you won't have to worry about getting marks taken off for "misinterpreting" what IB wanted. 

It must be devastating to be told that your EE may not work after putting so much work into it and making sure you always turned it in by the deadline. I hope everything goes well for you.