Math exploration HL

IBdoingnothing

Haven't started my IA because I just can't find a topic to explore! Is it necessary that the exploration is based on some application/real world/nature? Or can it be something abstract? Like I'm thinking about the different ways to find limits (taylors, zero paradox, L'hopitals) but will it be scoring? Need feedbacks asap!

Your IA has to have maths. That's all. It doesn't have to be based on any real life application, you can have an IA based on pure mathematics. You can do it that topic, but modify it to "determining the best way to find limits" or something similar, because you can't just find limits of random functions/series and make that into your IA. You can even specify what types of series you'll be looking at to make it more focused. Hope this was helpful, good luck with your IA! :)

• Like 2

it doesn't have to be applied to the real world- doing so, however, earns you Personal Engagement marks and Reflection marks (if done right). You can, however, earn these marks in other ways :) So you can use pure maths only! Some tips to score well:

• remember to explain why the topic matters to YOU (you could try to go along the lines of "it's really interesting because...", or relate it to some event or epiphany in your life (smth along the lines of "...and then I understood the strange and awe-inspiring concept of infinity")). This shows personal engagement.
  • also, show that you CARE about what you're doing (even if you don't, the examiner wants to see that you've put time and thought into your IA). think about the implications of your conclusions and what they mean to earn reflection points. 
  • Remember to communicate clearly what you mean: define any terms that an average student from your math class wouldn't know, and any non-mathematical terms (if you are using them), such as physics related things.

Good luck!

• Like 2