Should assisted suicide by doctors be legal for terminally ill patients? If so, under what conditions should this happen?

bgabay

In my opinion, they should die if they request to, but ONLY if the patients request to. There's this story about a woman who was 'brain-dead' and could not move, talk, or eat. They thought that she was in a coma, but in reality, she could hear. The doctors requested that they terminate her life by taking her off life support and the only reason they didn't was because her husband told them not to. When she came out of the coma... well.. imagine how pissed off she was

Edited by Kynast

I haven't read all the replies so I am not discussing anyone's point but rather mine. My personal opinion is that assisted suicide is only "justifiable" when the patients themselves are able to say yes or no. If they're in no state of expressing their feelings then it's a no no. No one but oneself has the right to decide. This is not legal and may never be due to several reasons, one of them being the fact that religion intervenes in these kinds of scenarios and those states where religion is in the constitution may never allow such thing to happen.

Edited by shad0wboss

I'm doing my TOK presentation on Assisted Suicide. I think it should be legalised.. Only for terminally ill people though.. We have to sympathise with terminally ill patients.. They are suffering.. Think about Emotion, and reason. Altruism: Do the best action to what's best for everyone except yourself. It's a pain to see a family member suffering, begging for help...

Go and youtube and type Dignitas Center Assisted Suicide.. 

See how you feel after watching one of those videos..

I'm doing my TOK presentation on Assisted Suicide. I think it should be legalised.. Only for terminally ill people though.. We have to sympathise with terminally ill patients.. They are suffering.. Think about Emotion, and reason. Altruism: Do the best action to what's best for everyone except yourself. It's a pain to see a family member suffering, begging for help...

That video looks so fake to me. Or maybe because I believe that death is the most painful experience no matter what? That looks like a sleeping pill or something LOL

That video looks so fake to me. Or maybe because I believe that death is the most painful experience no matter what? That looks like a sleeping pill or something LOL

I don't know which one you watched, I watched the French woman, with a bone disease. It looked pretty realistic actually... I felt bad afterwards :/

I don't know which one you watched, I watched the French woman, with a bone disease. It looked pretty realistic actually... I felt bad afterwards :/

I watched that one..but its crazy...