How did you guys succeed in IB Mathematics?

A_Happy_Monkey

I'm currently doing IB Math (SL/HL qualificatory course) and I cannot cope!

I did reasonably alright in the pre requisite, with a 94 average- and today I completely failed the first exam with 10%!!! IB Mathematics is hell to me... anyone else feel the same way? For those who don't, how did you achieve success in this subject area?

Any advice would be appreciated!!

HL Maths was easily the hardest course for me, and I always considered myself to be good at maths. Take lots and lots of practice exams, even from years on a different syllabi (get familiar with the one you're on so you can identify which questions you won't need to do).

Realize, if you end up in HL, that it is a really hard class, and that's reflected in the boundaries at the end. If I recall correctly, getting a 4 is something like 40% and getting a 7 is 75%. It varies year to year. Most of the points you'll get will be method points, so show your work! That's another reason to take a lot of practice exams - they'll show you what is often counted as a method point and what isn't so you'll know what to write down.

Finally, you need to be comfortable with and without your calculator, but you can become completely dependent on your formula packet! :) What I'm trying to say is that memorizing all the trig identities, for example, isn't necessary a good use of your time. Flipping to that page is not a lot of time spent during a test, and reading it off the page will probably prevent some mistakes anyway. Plus, trig identities are only one example out of the large number of pages on the test. Whether you choose to memorize or not, just be sure to remember that the formula packet is a tool available to you.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Lowered my expectations.

Was around 10-20% up until end of March, beginning of April. Then solved about 20 past papers before the exams and eventually, ended up with a 4 and it was fine because that was all I needed for university. Never truly got the hang of it, just powered through. Past papers are the key, though, as is solving lots of exercises (question bank is the best!)

Good luck!

• Like 1

Of course, I'm talking about SL here, but I think the principle remains the same.

Th key is a lot of past papers! You eventually get used to the questions and how they are asked, as well as what the IB wants to see in your answers. I once got a 3 on a Trig test the first time I did it, but the key is to not give up and keep going, follow your teachers advice, and stock up on past papers! 

Edited by AAPower
  • Like 1