Improving IB Grades

chloeolut

You have plenty of time!

My school is predicting me a 24 right now. I have literally 78 days to improve and step up my game before my finals bash me in the face. 

Do your best, don't lose motivation, stay motivated! And stay organised! The best advice any IB student can give you is to make sure you're always ahead of whatever is being taught, do your homework/assignments/IAs when they're assigned start when it's given get it done before it's due that way you have more time to study and less time to burn/waste. Believe me, if you don't do well/work hard on your assessments they'll come back and bite you and it's annoying when you need to study and complete/finish an IA.

• Like 2

Right now your goals for 6/7/7/5/7/7/3bonus gives you 42/45. You should work as much as you can to get to your goal of 42 and if something unexpected happens you can probably end up with at least 40 or 41. The trick is to don't get too relaxed until the final papers and if say in some months you do get to 40+, keep working as if you are trying for 44 or 45. It's definitely easier to improve in the first year than in the second.

• 2 weeks later...

You can do it definitely! Tips? Well let me just say that whatever you're doing is nothing compared to what you'll be doing in the future. IB feels like a piece of cake, now that I am studying Finance, HL maths seemed easier even though I never took HL and got away with SL.

I'd say that you should divide your time and "read" textbooks. They always help! Textbooks are your personal lecturers. You should spend 15 minutes per day per subject going over the content from textbook that you covered in class and if you love note taking then either hand write them or just type em out. When you start doing this and when you'll be doing exams, you'll see that you won't need to "revise" a day before the exam as everything you learnt in class is in your head. 

Best of luck!

• Like 1

IAs!!!!!

Learn your lessons! And do perfect IAs! They are a gift I promise! 

20-30% of your final mark?! Common.. That can change your grade from a 6 to a 7...

On the topic of IAs. Never ever ever ever do your IA in subjects like Physics. I did, I failed, I cried. You should try to read the gradin criteria for each subject before actually selecting the subject you want to do the IA in. In physics, they grade your "evaluation part" as well which i didn't know about and I lost a LOT of marks in that section. 

• Like 1

IAs!!!!!

20-30% of your final mark?! Common.. That can change your grade from a 6 to a 7...

On the topic of IAs. Never ever ever ever do your IA in subjects like Physics. I did, I failed, I cried. You should try to read the gradin criteria for each subject before actually selecting the subject you want to do the IA in. In physics, they grade your "evaluation part" as well which i didn't know about and I lost a LOT of marks in that section. 

You have to do IAs for every single subject :S 

Did you do the full IB diploma?

IAs!!!!!

When you make mistakes like this, you know that you're getting old. I mixed up Extended Essay with IA. Apologies. I was talking about the Extended Essay!

IAs, yes! That's the easiest way to bump your grade up.

• Like 1

IAs!!!!!

When you make mistakes like this, you know that you're getting old. I mixed up Extended Essay with IA. Apologies. I was talking about the Extended Essay!

Haha, You passed your exams in May 2013, you're not that old haha. Let's just say it's easily forgotten ;) 

• Like 1

IAs!!!!!

Haha, You passed your exams in May 2013, you're not that old haha. Let's just say it's easily forgotten ;)

The lemons you get in life after IB, makes you forget about the past  :lol:

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, Charles_a said:

Hi guys,

Im currently in second year of IB and I'm at a 30 without extra points, keep in my mind I haven't really been doing anything though all I did until now was the strict minimum. Do you any of you guys know how I could improve my grade to around a 36 or more?? 

Maybe do more than the minimum?

36 isn't going to suddenly fall from the sky if you're not going to put any effort. 

2 minutes ago, Charles_a said:

Thanks for the reply :) 

Could you tell me specifically what i should do to improve?

First off, I suggest making a new thread about it.

List the subjects and SL/HLs you're taking, as well as the ones you specifically need the most help on; people will give better and more detailed advice.

If you happen to take Biology or Chemistry, PM me and I'll send you a personal pseudo-guide on improving grades in those subjects. 

Edited by IB`ez
  • Like 2