Economic HL self-study possible?

So First I've wasted 7months of my grade11 doing group3 in history and now I've decided that I really can't do it. So I'm interested in changing it to Econ HL which they don't really have proper teacher yet, so I might need to do full on self study through the course alone.

I actually have 3 choice right now

1. My school doesn't have proper class for Econ because they will introduce it next year but they are working on. So now my Econ soon to be teacher is my B&M teacher, he said if I want to do it I have to do self study and he can help sometimes, because he doesn't have time to do a class with only me in it, but I have to learn the curriculum all alone.

2. I have to do art for group 6 and switch BM for group 3

3. I'm have to stuck with history....which I'm not passionate about

So does doing Econ HL self study possible or not?

Ps. I never learn Econ before (at all) I know it's a burden, but history is too much!

G1: ThaiA SL

G2: Eng B HL

G3: History HL (right now, hoping for Econ HL)

G4: Biology SL

G5: Math studies

G6: B&M HL

Edited by L.smy

Don't worry a lot. First few months in IB are for trial and error! At least for most of the people I know. Anyway, to answer your question, I can't say whether you can self-study econ HL or not because honestly, it depends on you. Since you've never done economics before, it won't be really easy; you'll have many things to learn. But many people I know did that and it wasn't a great problem. Economics itself is usually considered as an easy subject. For me, tis true. Although this could be completely different for you, especially considering that you don't have a proper teacher.

You can take tuitions or you can get a lot of help online (and I'm not exaggerating, there are tonnes of materials available for econ). You'll have to get yourself familiar with the type of questions and everything. Besides papers, you'll have to submit and IA portfolio consisting of 3 commentaries (economic commentaries based on 3 different articles and different sections of the course). You might face a little problem there without a proper teacher to guide you. If a teacher comes along next year, that would be really good. You can have your IAs checked by him/her.

All in all, its easy, its doable, just some parts that are a little tough to grasp but like I said, you can always ask for help. Before deciding though, I think you should go through the syllabus and the text(book) first to get a feel of the subject. If you think after another 6 months that this is not right for you, then that's not gonna work out for you! So choose carefully. If you're more interested in BM, then take that. Although comparing both subjects at HL level, econ is easier to score in.

If you need any help, you can visit this site. I can also go through your IAs once I'm done with my exams. Good luck! :)

• Like 1

I feel that economics is much about self study only, because it is a subject that has so much of theory in it that you always have to read the text by yourself to know the content. Personally, I don't have a good teacher either, so whatever I do is on my own. A good text book and appropriate resources will definitely help a lot in self study. I use Economics for the IB diploma published by Cambridge, and I feel that it is amazing.

I believe that you should drop History and take economics HL. Just see to it that you read the text regularly.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Don't worry! I think it's the perfect timing for you. 

I'm currently taking Econ HL. For first 6 months, my feeling was like this: "Can I not attend regular class for this ****? " since the basics are about your common sense. 

Although it really depends on the person, but I believe Econ HL is relatively easier than other courses, for me it was Chemistry HL, to learn chapter 1-7 by yourself. 

The videos from this website are really helpful for my preparation: http://www.econclassroom.com/

I also recommend the textbook Economics for the IB diploma published by Cambridge. Just be careful of some typo, which might confuse you. 

Good luck! 

• Like 1

Don't worry a lot. First few months in IB are for trial and error! At least for most of the people I know. Anyway, to answer your question, I can't say whether you can self-study econ HL or not because honestly, it depends on you. Since you've never done economics before, it won't be really easy; you'll have many things to learn. But many people I know did that and it wasn't a great problem. Economics itself is usually considered as an easy subject. For me, tis true. Although this could be completely different for you, especially considering that you don't have a proper teacher.

You can take tuitions or you can get a lot of help online (and I'm not exaggerating, there are tonnes of materials available for econ). You'll have to get yourself familiar with the type of questions and everything. Besides papers, you'll have to submit and IA portfolio consisting of 3 commentaries (economic commentaries based on 3 different articles and different sections of the course). You might face a little problem there without a proper teacher to guide you. If a teacher comes along next year, that would be really good. You can have your IAs checked by him/her.

All in all, its easy, its doable, just some parts that are a little tough to grasp but like I said, you can always ask for help. Before deciding though, I think you should go through the syllabus and the text(book) first to get a feel of the subject. If you think after another 6 months that this is not right for you, then that's not gonna work out for you! So choose carefully. If you're more interested in BM, then take that. Although comparing both subjects at HL level, econ is easier to score in.

If you need any help, you can visit this site. I can also go through your IAs once I'm done with my exams. Good luck! :)

I feel that economics is much about self study only, because it is a subject that has so much of theory in it that you always have to read the text by yourself to know the content. Personally, I don't have a good teacher either, so whatever I do is on my own. A good text book and appropriate resources will definitely help a lot in self study. I use Economics for the IB diploma published by Cambridge, and I feel that it is amazing.

I believe that you should drop History and take economics HL. Just see to it that you read the text regularly.

Hope this helps!

Don't worry! I think it's the perfect timing for you. 

I'm currently taking Econ HL. For first 6 months, my feeling was like this: "Can I not attend regular class for this ****? " since the basics are about your common sense. 

Although it really depends on the person, but I believe Econ HL is relatively easier than other courses, for me it was Chemistry HL, to learn chapter 1-7 by yourself. 

The videos from this website are really helpful for my preparation: http://www.econclassroom.com/

I also recommend the textbook Economics for the IB diploma published by Cambridge. Just be careful of some typo, which might confuse you. 

Good luck! 

Thank you for all the support, it helps a lottt.

I've decided to do Economic HL self study for sure right now.

Already got all the books I need and I also have some help from my BM teacher who also knows Econ too, so yeahh wish me luck!