Subject choice, did I make a mistake? study tips maybe?

Calliway

So I just chose my subjects for next year and I'm a little nervous because I'm pretty sure I took too much.

My subjects are:

HL:

English literature

Biology

Chemistry

Mathematics

SL:

History

Danish

And then as my 7th subject I took Spanish ab initio

And I don't know if this is even possible to take and get good grades, since I know mathematics HL is hard and so are some of the other subjects.

Do you guys have study tips?

Are you required to take Spanish ab initio? If not, there's no real reason you should be taking it.

Also, your HL choice seems like you're interested in the sciences, so if you want to get the best grades possible and have some joy left in life I'd suggest dropping English Lit HL to SL.

The only reason I took English Lit HL is because my coordinator recommended it in case I'd have to take Mathematics SL

I'll probably end up dropping Spanish

If you have previous success with math or are going to experimental sciences/engineering you shouldn't have much problem with HL Math if you work diligently.

I also took HL Literature, HL Math and HL Chemistry. Success to HL Literature is in keeping good communication with your teacher and finish IAs weeks/days in advance so you can ask for feedback; math is being able to sit down for 2-3 hours at a time and can really use class lecture to finish homework; chemistry is basically keeping up with your homework and knowing fundamental concepts (eg bonds, polarity, ionization, energy) and apply to advanced topics. Biology (IB) I heard involves more memorization than many of your other classes, so you can decide for yourself based on what you are comfortable with. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A study tip that if you start early on in your IB classes, it will hopefully help you as you move along: Mind maps have been saving me in all my IB subjects. The further I go through the subjects, the more I see how all the topics within a subject are connected, and instead of a notes in a linear fashion, I have found that organizing my ideas based on themes, etc. Examples:

Proteins and transport in biology: pretty much connect to everything

Looking at what people in history did based on themes (ex. economic decisions, foreign policy, etc.) rather than in a strictly chronological order. Also organizing notes on events by perspectives/ schools of thoughts rather than just chronologically has really helped me.

Basically, finding new ways to organize/analyze all the new content being thrown at you will help you stay on top of things. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Why take 7 subjects? Drop Spanish ab initio, and maybe drop HL English Literature to an SL. If you find Math too difficult after some time, drop that to an SL and bump up Eng Lit to an HL. It'll be easier than taking 4 HLs right from the get go since there's isn't too big of a difference between SL and HL English at the start especially.

• 4 weeks later...

I would suggest dropping Spanish ab initio altogether, since a seventh subject seems a bit unnecessary, and will end up overworking you in the long run. Though I would recommend dropping HL English to an SL, because you seem more science/math oriented.

But best of luck with whatever you choose!