Bio HL. LAB WRITE UP

Guest CNguyen90

Guest CNguyen90

AHH! so i have a lab write up due tomorrow however my teacher gives very unclear instructions. by any chance can anyone send me an old lab write up? the subject doesn't matter. i just need to know if my format and such is correct. thanks!

I would suggest that you check out this site for a guide on how to write a lab report.

The structure varies from how you want it and what you have done. You can divide it in each assessment (planning A and B and etc) or include everything in another way. I usually have Introduction, Aim, hypothesis, variables, methods, results, analysis of results, discussion, evaluation.

Guest CNguyen90

thanks! that helped greatly

I would suggest that you check out this site for a guide on how to write a lab report.

The structure varies from how you want it and what you have done. You can divide it in each assessment (planning A and B and etc) or include everything in another way. I usually have Introduction, Aim, hypothesis, variables, methods, results, analysis of results, discussion, evaluation.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I dont have a site but I wrote this in another thread

I do an introduction before beginning the prac in ernest' date=' then for planning A, research question is usually pretty easy but if unsure make it longest and more specific. Hypothesis I do simple predictions then move to more complex predictions, including both qualitive and whereas possible quantitive measures. It is also important to ground your predictions in theory of other scientists. Variables is much like the research question it is pretty easy but it if in doubt write more, then as you write the method I ffind that i haven't included some of the variable and I update it. I do variables in a table with independent, dependent and controlled variables.

Then Planning b apparatus i usually make a diagram of the prac set up, and make sure that I include the number of each apparatus, the concentration etc. Then for the method I tend too write 500-700 word. Try to make it as detailed as possible including ways to control the variables even if you didnt do them.

The for data collection i include a table of the results including the uncertainties of each measurement, I also include a talbe of instrument uncertainties.

Data processing I assume is alot different for physics but you will have to calculate the experiment uncertainty.

Conclusion, I articulate the results in words firstly then, I see whether the results support my hypothesis and the then explain using reference to other scientists works.

Evaluation, First I evaluate the method making suggestion for improvement. then I look at possible errors[/quote']

Guest PollyPeptide

I think you need a hypothesis for Biology, even in the changed schedule. That's what it says in the IA criteria we got. For Chemistry and Physics on the other hand, you don't need a hypothesis.

I think you need a hypothesis for Biology, even in the changed schedule. That's what it says in the IA criteria we got. For Chemistry and Physics on the other hand, you don't need a hypothesis.

It depends on what kind of lab you are doing. If you're doing a lab that does not asses planning a and b, then a hypothesis is not needed since its part of those criterias. Its usually labs in which the teacher gives you all the information and intructions needed, perhaps to make you just understand more the basis of what you are doing or practise practical stuff.

If you have planning a/b, ie you plan your own lab based upon the aim or information given, then you need a hypothesis.

When you submit the porfolio, you don't need a full lab report. You choose two with criterias you have obtained highest mark in and send them all in. So, you can end up sending different lab reports, only having parts of them assessed and thus, the lab without hypothesis might be sent in on the basis of perhaps the evaluation or so.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Just wondering, do your teachers return the marked bio lab reports to you? Because I haven't really gotten any of my lab reports back!

Yes, mine does. It really helps me to improve on my next lab reports. :) My teacher grades them very strictly. It's really dificult for me to actually get a good mark though :lol:

I dont think u needed a hypothesis for the 2008 curriculum...unless pl a is being assesed