Question about an Extended Essay

Sa7wal

Hello. I am a new member in this forum. My IB coordinator said that I am not allowed to do my extended essay in a subject that is not offered in school. I want to know if this is true or not. My EE is in design technology (a topic of my interest) but I don't have a supervisor in school to assist me.

If anyone knows if what my coordinator said is true or not, please help me.

Thanks,

Rabih

It's probably in your best interest to do a subject that's offered by your school, especially if it means your supervisor will be an IB teacher.

One of my friends did her EE in history, but her supervisor was a non-IB teacher and he had absolutely no idea what the IB guidelines for the EE were. He didn't help her at all.

What if the supervisor is an IB teacher but from, say, another school?

Because our school doesn't offer Design Technology, if Sa7wal were to do his EE on Design Technology he can't find a supervisor in our school, so he'd have to get one from outside. (Btw just to avoid confusion, Sa7wal's my classmate.)

What if the supervisor is an IB teacher but from, say, another school?

Because our school doesn't offer Design Technology, if Sa7wal were to do his EE on Design Technology he can't find a supervisor in our school, so he'd have to get one from outside. (Btw just to avoid confusion, Sa7wal's my classmate.)

I THINK that's okay but you would still need an in school supervisor. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Well, I actually e-mailed the IBO telling them about my problem, and they replied saying that I should contact my IB coordinator. Thanks everyone. If anyone can make it clearer for me please do and I'll appreciate it.

Edited by Sa7wal

Well, I actually e-mailed the IBO telling them about my problem, and they replied saying that I should contact my IB coordinator. Thanks everyone. If anyone can make it clearer for me please do and I'll appreciate it.

They replied? I remember emailing them about something and they ignored me...

I'm not sure how wise it is to do an EE in a subject that you havent taken in your IB years? For me, doing a Physics EE, most of the information I used is deeply assisted by my Physics HL classes. If you are to write an EE about DT, you must make sure you dont mention "too basic" information, etc. I dont know, I still recommend doing an EE in another subject.