Should I take Mathematics SL or Studies?

merdekamerdeka

Hello everyone,

I will be in Grade 11 next year, I plan on taking IB B&M HL and Economics HL as I want to major in Economics. I am confused because some people suggested that I don't need to take Mathematics SL. They said that it won't be useful for Economics in university. Can anyone help me with this? Should I take Maths Studies or SL? I'll be taking IGCSE Mathematics on May and I expect to get an A. Thanks.

I`m not too sure about this. I think it varies for different universities. If you think you are managing well in SL, then continue with taking SL. Personally, I had switched to Math Studies in order to push up my score and I do find that I am a bit more limited in choices for university courses. Please think through it carefully!

It depends slightly on what universities you want to study, but the general advice is to take Maths SL. I know, at my uni, economics require a particular grade in mathematics, and when they do have such requirements, you will have a difficult time getting in without Maths SL in the very least. Even if it won't be useful, it's a requirement at some unis. That fact won't change. I am sure some universities don't have that requirement, but you'll limit your options quite a lot if you take maths studies and want to study economics at uni. If there are any universities you are definitely applying to, contact them directly and hear what they have to say. 

• Like 1