Math SL or Math Studies for an Aspiring Lawyer?

lemote

Hello!

I am a rising junior who is getting ready to face the real challenges of IB next year. As the title indicates, I plan on becoming a lawyer. When we were allowed to pick our classes, I picked Math SL, but now I am having cold feet. I usually did well in math, but since I started high school I've slacked off in my classes with little effect on my grades, except in math. I realize I probably don't want to take Math SL, as I feel it will be too much work for me and I will probably slack off. That brings me to my question! What math class do you guys recommend an aspiring lawyer take? I'm leaning towards asking for a switch to Math Studies, but I'd like some input first.

Thanks!

I'm in 11th grade now, and in Math Studies, and I want to be a lawyer. My teachers told me that Math Studies is for people who don't like math, and aren't really very good at it. I find Studies easy, but SL is way too difficult for me. It's better to have good grades in an easier class than really bad grades in a higher class. Usually I would say to challenge yourself, but if it's something you can't handle you shouldn't take it. Use the lower demand in math to allow you to focus on Literature and History, which will prepare you for law much better. Besides, I know kids in the rest of my school district (that don't take IB) that are just now learning what we did in MYP last year in 11th or 12th grade. You're not missing out on anything that you can't learn in college. 

Studies!!! Don't do the same mistake with me. I took Math SL in IB1 and spend way too much time there (because it was difficult for me), which i could have alternatively spend in other subjects to maximise my overall score. Law schools don't care at all about the level of maths you have, they just want you to have a high overall score! A friend of mine wanted to apply for law in UCL and was predicted with a 4 (they require a grade 5 and above in all subjects) in math SL, so she called UCL and they told her that there would no problem switching to studies. So, save yourself the trouble and take studies. ^_^