My teacher is new to IB - anything I should be aware of?

pppraz58

So... I'm taking Chemistry HL. It's about to finish my first year of IB. 

- I started my revision as I'm almost done with my year of Grade 11. 

- I realized my teacher didn't cover some parts of the syllabus. 

We covered up to kinetics chapter, but my teacher didn't make any test for us yet. 

I realized my teacher haven't even read the syllabus yet, and he basically taught us from his intuition as former AP teacher. 

... It seems I have not much choice but learn from Mr Richard Thornley's video on Youtube. 

It's his first year of teaching IB Chemistry and I understand about his confusion for the curriculum,

but I'm wondering about other stuff - IA, Group 4, mock exams, etc.

Question: My teacher is new to IB programme - Is there anything I should be aware of as a chemistry HL student? 

It's quite normal to complete the IA and group 4 project in grade 12 (I assume that you are take the HL course over 2 years). 

I take it that you have an IB specific textbook, as this will help to make sure that you have covered the syllabus. Also be aware that chemistry is the same whether you learn it as part of the AP course or the IB course. Of course the syllabus will be different and there are IB specific details (such as the molar volume of a gas being 22.7 dm3 rather than 22.4 dm3). 

You could also try my website which has indepth tutorial videos with syllabus details and worksheets specifically for the IB.

http://www.msjchem.com

Edited by Msj Chem
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Msj Chem said:

It's quite normal to complete the IA and group 4 project in grade 12 (I assume that you are take the HL course over 2 years). 

I take it that you have an IB specific textbook, as this will help to make sure that you have covered the syllabus. Also be aware that chemistry is the same whether you learn it as part of the AP course or the IB course. Of course the syllabus will be different and there are IB specific details (such as the molar volume of a gas being 22.7 dm3 rather than 22.4 dm3). 

You could also try my website which has indepth tutorial videos with syllabus details and worksheets specifically for the IB.

http://www.msjchem.com

Thank you very much!

The book we are using now is Oxford 2014 version, which I think is good but not so great. I was really seeking for the supplementary materials and your video works perfect for me! 

I got less concerned about the contents now, but it seems I really should look at the syllabus to see if I covered the standards. 

My teacher does use the numerical value from AP course sometimes. I should be aware of that. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So... I'm taking Chemistry HL. It's about to finish my first year of IB. 

- I started my revision as I'm almost done with my year of Grade 11. 

- I realized my teacher didn't cover some parts of the syllabus. 

We covered up to kinetics chapter, but my teacher didn't make any test for us yet. 

I realized my teacher haven't even read the syllabus yet, and he basically taught us from his intuition as former AP teacher. 

... It seems I have not much choice but learn from Mr Richard Thornley's video on Youtube. 

It's his first year of teaching IB Chemistry and I understand about his confusion for the curriculum,

but I'm wondering about other stuff - IA, Group 4, mock exams, etc.

Question: My teacher is new to IB programme - Is there anything I should be aware of as a chemistry HL student? 

Same here, I'm in my final year of IB and my teachers don't cover the whole syllabus (for chemistry, economics, history mainly) and I think you're expected to self-teach to some degree unfortunately

I have PPTs videos and quizzes for the whole syllabus. www.mrweng.weebly.com

I'm an IB Chemistry teacher so my powerpoints and videos cover the entire syllabus. I've been told that a lot of schools in the US teach AP and just add on the IB exams as an extra. I'm only teaching IB and am in an international school so you can get all you need to learn here. You can also try msjchem's youtube chanel and website. He also has all the syllabus points, as well as videos. 

My YouTube channel is: Mr Weng.

Edited by Professional student
adding hyperlinks.