Biology SL papers 1 & 2, 2016

livethemoment

2 hours ago, TerezaM said:

I personally spent my whole study break to study bio cause i never really got it and i managed to learn all of physiology-none was there, all of genetics-there was one question about the blood groups in pp1, molecular biology and so on...

I had a feeing that they just decided to put in all the not-so-important stuff that, however, is in the book so they thought "ah we didnt put this in a paper yet" and they just put in all that: meaning the methane and water properies, the experiments in pp3 and all.

All of my class did pretty bad so we're all hoping for lower boundaries.

What do you think?

We are all in the same boat! Our class did pretty bad in section A but section B was ok in paper 2! We all hope for low boundaries.

Paper 1 was easy instead. It was so similar to the specimen! 

I think there were two sub-questions that confused me the most in section A the first question. 

What did you guys answer for the question that asked something like "Outline or Explain the interphase stages and population growth" and "State the roles of different cylins" 

Other than that, I found rest of the questions really easy especially because I solved many past papers before and I have seen #6 in section B in previous papers and managed to answer it without any trouble. 

10 minutes ago, Seung Hun Han said:

I think there were two sub-questions that confused me the most in section A the first question. 

What did you guys answer for the question that asked something like "Outline or Explain the interphase stages and population growth" and "State the roles of different cylins" 

Other than that, I found rest of the questions really easy especially because I solved many past papers before and I have seen #6 in section B in previous papers and managed to answer it without any trouble. 

I got so confused on that questions, I just invented a couple of things which sounded right but I think I lost the points. On the cyclins I connected them to the percentage in S phase, G1 phase and G2 phase. Interphase stages I had no idea because nerve cells did not increase while endodermal did so I couldn't find a justifiable relationship. 

I also did 6 but for the part of evolution I completely forgot about meiosis, do you think I will be penalised much? I spoke about natural selection, convergent evolution, adaptive radiation, homologous/analogous structures and how different populations evolve differently. 

Ehi guys, 
I agree with all of you...

Let's start from the beginning:

Paper 1 was a pain in the *** , I wonder what the IB was thinking about when creating those questions..nothing about Human Physiology or Genetics, weird questions about experiments..compared to the previous years this test was way harder..no questions about it. 

Paper 2, well, weird I guess. The graph questions I hope I got a great amount of points on them.. I practiced with the new ones on the Specimen Paper. Section B, that now the IB has limited to only 2 option instead of the previous 3, I found the questions really general. I personally chose question n.6 (the one about evolution) rather than 5, and I, fortunately, could answer all of that. 

Paper 3, I chose Option C, Ecology and Conservation. Not so bad I hope. Again they miss a lot of content. I consider section A just a bad dream, honestly.

As you guys all said, I hope that the boundaries will save us. 

P.S. The New Science syllabus is just bad. 

4 minutes ago, Seung Hun Han said:

For paper 2 section B #5 (b) i used ABO blood group as an example to illustrate how characteristics that are not shown in parents can appear in the offsprings. I don't remember the exact wording of the question, but would that be accepted as a suitable example?

As far as it makes sense, I think you'll be alright man :)

36 minutes ago, Seung Hun Han said:

What about that weird cladogram question? I wrote 1. Swimming Bladder 2. Feather 3.Mammary gland (for females) 

What did you answer

I was not really sure about that question since I never saw a "cladogram" like that before. Nor, the IB Biology Syllabus has ever included one in any other previous test. 
I wrote that fish has no lungs, left it in blank for birds, and hair for mammals. I was really confused about it initially, especially because of the drawing, but now that I think about it I could have done it a little better.

Paper 1 was really weird. "What is the effect of dominant alleles?" what?? "Which condition always results in a change in allele frequency?"

Oh god I was originally most confident in paper 1. Now I'm not so sure. I failed to realize the "change in allele frequency" question was pointing to evolution which meant mutation was probably the right answer. Besides that question about how they found that blood flows away from the heart through arteries-I never learnt how they found out about it. I only learned about William Harvey and what he predicted, which didn't include any methods or other related experiments.

Paper 2:  I was really really sad that they didn't ask some of the questions I really hoped they'd ask. (Like stuff about human physiology, molecular biology, etc) I chose question 5, because I didn't understand question 6b. Now that I think about it since question 6 seemed to be a better choice since evolution might have been easier to get points for rather than AP and saltatory conduction...I actually wished that they'd open it to 3 questions again for section B.

Paper3: A very possible disaster, Section A was just...*cries*. I hope section B, Option D will be better.

I hope the examiners actually consider how weird this new syllabus is and how different it was compared to past exams...it just wasn't good at all. The questions were just...difficult and specific. They didn't put anything that you thought they would-like the very common things you'd expect: translation, transcription, those "more popular topics". Again, I hope all of us will be saved by the mercy of examiners and lower grade boundaries.

10 hours ago, Dpujatti said:

I was not really sure about that question since I never saw a "cladogram" like that before. Nor, the IB Biology Syllabus has ever included one in any other previous test. 
I wrote that fish has no lungs, left it in blank for birds, and hair for mammals. I was really confused about it initially, especially because of the drawing, but now that I think about it I could have done it a little better.

I think it was referring to the table we had to remember in 5.3 Classification of Biodiversity. I put that fish had gills, birds had regulation of body temperature (since I thought they meant that it had to be something that humans also had, as it was before the two broke off into separate things)and yeah for mammals I also put hair. The domain was "eukaryotes" I believe? They only ever asked about plant phyla and the six animalia phyla before, and never about chordates (except in paper 1). 

I suppose almost everyone did bad... I studied really hard for the biology exams (SL) and I feel like I wasted my time or maybe I even studied for a different subject, cause I wasn't able to answer a huge part of the questions (Section A in Paper 3 wtf). They were definitely much harder than most of the past papers. 

I suppose we can all unite in pain and disappointment. 

But maybe we can still do something about it. The IB coordinator of my schools told us after the biology exam that if we send a petition asking for lowering the boundaries from those examinations, then maybe they will consider it.

I found that someone already made a petition about it - https://www.change.org/p/international-bacc-ib-biology-sl-examination-2016

So please sign and share with ur friends! We have to do something so that all our studying was not in vain...

16 hours ago, Seung Hun Han said:

What about that weird cladogram question? I wrote 1. Swimming Bladder 2. Feather 3.Mammary gland (for females) 

What did you answer

I said for fish external fertilization, for birds internal fertilization and for mammals internal gestation. For cladograms it has to be a similar characteristic and it has to change gradually, so I hope what I said works XD

I was worried that I just hadn't studied hard enough for the exams but reading all of your responses I am kind of relieved that the exam itself was harder than usual. I mean, I understand that we have to use our knowledge to answer things we haven't studied using logic, but, cyclins, seriously? And in paper 1 the question about dominant and recessive alleles was extremely confusing (my teacher says the answer was I, II and III). 

What did you answer in the question that was something like what increases the rate of traits in a population? I put mutations but was doubting between this and crossing over of alleles.

Due to definition:

"Mutation – introduces new alleles into population."

and then:

"Crossing over is important because it results in new combinations of genes that are different from either parent, contributing to genetic diversity."

so I still dont know which answer is correct

45 minutes ago, juliawd said:

Due to definition:

"Mutation – introduces new alleles into population."

and then:

"Crossing over is important because it results in new combinations of genes that are different from either parent, contributing to genetic diversity."

so I still dont know which answer is correct

The answer was crossing over because the mutation could be a silent mutation which would have no apparent effect on the allele frequency. Hope that helps:)

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Bayan N. said:

The answer was crossing over because the mutation could be a silent mutation which would have no apparent effect on the allele frequency. Hope that helps:)

Yes, thank you. :) Though now I know I got this answer wrong...