FeeakingOut

Formatting on exams - problem?

Ok so I'm freaking out because I made the stupid move of not reading all the cover page rules. I didn't realize there was a rule that "you must leave a line space between question parts" until after today's exam. I didn't skip lines for part B of bio either, and now I'm scared I'll fail as paper 2 is worth around half of the marks. Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not really a big issue. Examiners are instructed to read all booklet pages. The examiners should be able to easily match the response to the question if you shade in the question number legibly. You should, for future exams, just to make sure to leave a line in between. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, kw0573 said:

It's not really a big issue. Examiners are instructed to read all booklet pages. The examiners should be able to easily match the response to the question if you shade in the question number legibly. You should, for future exams, just to make sure to leave a line in between. 

What do you mean "if you shade in the question"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See i don't don't know how the answer booklet is set up this year because last year, our booklets looked like this: https://www.uaschools.org/uploaded/UAHS_Site_Files/IPAB/Answer_booklet_guide_2015_(A5_size).pdf Where you shade in the numbers at the left. As long as you shaded it in the main question number, people will know what question it's for and the whole page is scanned. I don't recall leaving spaces between a) and b) myself. IB is just preventing the off chance that an examiner misses your question, but that's not quite likely to happen. IB will not deliberately penalize you for not skipping lines, even if they see all the parts of a question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a problem if in the blue cover sheet I wrote that  I answered one question and then I answered another one? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, simon9867 said:

Is there a problem if in the blue cover sheet I wrote that  I answered one question and then I answered another one? 

I wouldn't say there is definitely no problem but you shouldn't worry there, especially if your handwriting is consistent throughout the examination so they can match you together if your booklet were to become separate from the questions. I mean everyone is subjected to the risk of having their paper lost in the mail and your particular risk is not much greater.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kw0573 said:

See i don't don't know how the answer booklet is set up this year because last year, our booklets looked like this: https://www.uaschools.org/uploaded/UAHS_Site_Files/IPAB/Answer_booklet_guide_2015_(A5_size).pdf Where you shade in the numbers at the left. As long as you shaded it in the main question number, people will know what question it's for and the whole page is scanned. I don't recall leaving spaces between a) and b) myself. IB is just preventing the off chance that an examiner misses your question, but that's not quite likely to happen. IB will not deliberately penalize you for not skipping lines, even if they see all the parts of a question.

The answer booklet no longer has those ridiculous shade in boxes. Instead, the boxes are blank and you just write in the number yourself -- no shading is required.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding the parts situation, so we leave a line space between a) , b) we don't write a) , b) ? I just worry that the examiner will get confused.

And there is no shading required this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, ElleIB said:

Regarding the parts situation, so we leave a line space between a) , b) we don't write a) , b) ? I just worry that the examiner will get confused.

And there is no shading required this year. 

For future examinations you should write b) AND leave a line. Also since you have submitted this exam there's really nothing you can do except to make it clear on your future exams.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kw0573 said:

For future examinations you should write b) AND leave a line. Also since you have submitted this exam there's really nothing you can do except to make it clear on your future exams.

Yeah, but IB students are best at complaining and worrying lol. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now