English A HL and English B SL?

Hi, this is my first actual time posting on this forum, but it's just two basic questions that probably are really obvious but i'm still asking them :)

Does the IB allow you take English A HL, and take English B SL??? Would studying English B HL and Portuguese A HL affect my chance of being admitted into an english-speaking University (UK & Canada)

I don't think they would mind, the university can have no definite way of knowing you speak English. This is more of a personal thing, because if you are not fluent in English you will have a very hard time in University. But if you are confident in your ability to speak the language I am sure you can take Portuguese with no problems, however I can't say that for sure.

Definitely not both English A and B. You can't take something as both your native and second language!

It won't affect your admittance. You may need to take TOEFL or IELTS, but it's not going to be a problem (unless you want to study English).

Good luck in the IB!