Starting IB next year!

oppasManura

Hi!

I am starting IB next year!!! My sister did it before, and so I am a little prepared, but I have some questions!

Classes:

Mandarin ab initio

Math Studies sl

English Hl

Anthropology hl

Film hl

Environmental S&S sl

Can anyone tell me anything about these classes? Which one is the hardest? And I will have to take Chinese online, is that gonna be difficult? 

My goal is to go to South Korea for college, and so I tried to pick subjects that specifically learned about different cultures and the world. 

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi there, I know this is a really late reply, so sorry =/. 

Your choices of subject look good. From the subjects I have taken in comparison with yours:

--> English HL is hard in terms of grading and the sheer quantity of content to cover, but it is very Interesting.

--> ESS is a breeze, if you are interested in it. 

--> Math Studies is relatively straightforward, I personally found it hard when our class did the later chapters. But hey, you're allowed a Calculator for all exams so YAY! 

I can't say how hard the other subjects are though, because I have never taken them. 

Hope you have a good start to IB! ^_^

• Like 1

Hi there! I know you posted this a while ago and I'm just replying, but I hope you'll still appreciate my feedback.

As for Math Studies SL, it is my favorite math class that I have ever taken. While it is the easiest, it does offer its share of challenges, but in the end I got a 6, with being 1 mark away from a 7 (:(

As for English HL, I am entering my second year and the first year was challenging for sure, but that's just the nature of the IB Program.

I think you should be fine. While I can't speak for the other courses you're taking, I know for sure that you have a great balance of difficult and average. 

You'll be just fine!

Best of luck.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey, like others, "sorry I am late" :)

Math Studies? Well, coolest subject ever. It is easy, gives you confidence and most importantly provides you more than basic knowledge on maths, really. I don't want to have anything to do with Maths in the future, but Math Studies is like the maths subject that "understands" the maths' laymen like me. Like many others say, you don't just sum and subtract. You, for example, try to study functions and understand how they apply to real world situations. I mean in harder math subjects they study a more abstract world of maths, in which it doesn't really have any link with the real world. It is like a very hard equation. You solve it, yet you do not see why thats important, right? (abstract world of maths). Once you get too involved, it gets harder to connect it with the real world and thats where it starts getting harder and harder. In math studies, you study how maths applies to the basic world, how a function can be applied as a model to describe a restaurant's food annual sales, for example. Have you ever thought about how can salesmen can predict future sales? They do calculations, they try to find a pattern in the previous sales and apply it to the future. And math studies provides you this ability. Like the basic step of maths is to understand how it works. I remember in the 4th grade I was horrible at maths because I didn't get what were the numbers for. I memorized like many children how to do math but I didn't really get what was a volume for example or the area of a house. Now you can see the genesis, the origin of this finally! I had 6 on my paper 1 and 7 on my paper 2, but my teacher gave me a 5 at the end because I did not deliver him the IA in time for him to check. Lame, right?

ESS.. I  don't really like it. I don't like sciences honestly and ESS is more of a memorizing subject. That is, it is the opposite of Math Studies. People argue it is the basic science knowledge people need to have, but the only thing you do is memorize and eventually you will forget ab everything. There is no chemical background for the subject. Its like people telling you something and refusing to tell you some steps they took to get there to the story. For example, you need to know that in the tropical rainforests there is more decomposition and nutrient recycling because decomposing bacteria work better with hotter temperatures. Period. Why? You don't need to know its chemistry dude, not ESS. Thats what teachers say ahah. For me, it could be explored better but it has some perks, I admit I gained some scientific knowledge I never had previously, the thing is if I don't look it up I might eventually forget it.

As to Film, I did not have it, tho I am doing an EE on Film. It is like a major work of investigation, you ll get there. But from what I have heard, it is a major and very important subject in the Arts. Frankly, it is very interesting, you write scripts you take care of the production of simple movies and it is an imaginative, creative subject. I would love to have attended it, although my school doesn't provide it. It will give you a grasp on how movies really work, you will be able to analyze and see movies in a different way, as you will see how producers get their message to people through artistic aspects. Great choice!

I don't mean to meddle where I don't belong but I believe you should not choose your subjects based on what country do you wanna go, more like the course. I am not saying the subject combination is bad, but you said you had chosen them to be cultural and ample, but think that most important is that you actually like them and get something from them. Choose them based on your interests and that will leave you to a course. People have always told me to choose my future path based on the course and not the place. I mean I would love to go to the US, but if Creative Writing is better at the UK, that s where I will go the. It doesn't mean I will be forever in there, its just an academic course, which may allow me or not to go there eventually. Also, the country will not specifically ask you for some kind of subjects. Canada, for instance, will not require having a certain kind of subjects or Sweden won't ask me if I had Nordic History. It would be good for me to adapt in there, but that goes with time and as I am there I will learn their culture. While the course will. You don't need to choose cultural subjects to go there. You need to choose them according with the course you wanna take. I understand what you re doing, but be careful.

Hope I helped, sorry for the extension

Richard    

• Like 1