IB Geography HL - Tips for writing a level 7 essay

naturevalley

Hi

I have my exam next week and I really want level 7 this time so I wanted to ask for some essay writing tips

I always got high 6s in my exams and mainly that was because my essays were around 7/10 and 10/15.

I got 29/30 in my internal assessment so I think it's not the knowledge that is missing

Could you give me some tips for writing a better essay in exams? I always included case studies with statistics but I guess that wasn't enough to get me the marks...

• 3 months later...

Tbh when it comes to marking essays, it is quite a subjective matter..

Each examiner will give you a different mark, because even in the mark schemes when it comes to answers they usually only give the examiner examples.

When it comes to essays, always try and define a keyword from the question (if significant) in your introduction.

Always have a balanced argument (if applicable)

and so on. 

Maybe your teacher is harsh when it comes to marking essays, and that is why you aren't getting a very high grade.

Lol once my teacher was in a bad mood and he gave me a 6 for my essay, then I told him to remark it another day and he is like you're right.. you deserve a 7 .-.

I see you've had your exams already but I'll reply if anyone else peeks at this thread searching for advice.

One key word my teacher used to always stress is evaluation.

Including this in your essay is essential, not only for a balanced argument but also to show critical thinking and reasoning.

Chances are you can evaluate whatever it is you're writing about, be it population policies or whatever.

Further, a lot of your mark will come from how clear your expression and development of ideas are, as well as the quality and relevance of specific examples used.

Edited by AAPower

• 4 weeks later...