Chemistry SL Paper 3

#teamnosleep

I am higher level, I did Option B, and personally found it quite easy! I didnt sleep the night before just to make sure I knew everything. Though I did find difficulty in answering the question about Thomas' method or something about how to set up the experiment and ensure the reaction mechanism is right. 

Edited by Alex98

There is no topic session for HL, so I am writing here. So section A was straightforward although the second question "how to make 1.00dm^3 of sodium hydroxide carefully" question was just confusing. It was only two marks, so I think people wouldn't have found much trouble in section A. I did option B biochem. Whereas paper 3 seemed really tough in speciment with all the really specific details, I think this paper 3 generally focused on the big things like enzymes, hemoglobin. A big disappointed in the fact that they've allocated four marks on writing advantages and disadvantages of biodegradable plastics, but paper 3 was nice. 

54 minutes ago, Seung Hun Han said:

There is no topic session for HL, so I am writing here. So section A was straightforward although the second question "how to make 1.00dm^3 of sodium hydroxide carefully" question was just confusing. It was only two marks, so I think people wouldn't have found much trouble in section A. I did option B biochem. Whereas paper 3 seemed really tough in speciment with all the really specific details, I think this paper 3 generally focused on the big things like enzymes, hemoglobin. A big disappointed in the fact that they've allocated four marks on writing advantages and disadvantages of biodegradable plastics, but paper 3 was nice. 

4 marks for advantages and disadvatanges of biodegradable plastics is a lot, especially when a discussion of the advantages and disadvantages is not mentioned in the syllabus.

31 minutes ago, Msj Chem said:

4 marks for advantages and disadvatanges of biodegradable plastics is a lot, especially when a discussion of the advantages and disadvantages is not mentioned in the syllabus.

Well said sir. I've used the pearson and oxford book to supplement my knowledge on the option. As far as I know, there are only one advantage and disadvantage mentioned through out those two books. I thought they would probably bring up bioaccumulation and biomagnification but that didn't happen so... 

For that question I put: Pros- less carbon footprint, easier to break down with the use of enzymes

Against- Using land to harvest crops for plastic instead of food, Inability to recycle plastics