IB Schedule for next year?

Here is my schedule for 11th grade:

IB History of Americas

IB Spanish 4

IB English HL

IB Math HL

IB Physics HL

IB Design tech HL or IB chem HL

Honestly, I dunno if I should switch design tech to sl. Either way, IB Design tech Sl students have to take HL in 12th grade anyways. Should I keep IB design tech hl or switch to chemistry hl instead? How hard is my schedule in general? I am setting my sites on Harvard, and I want to be either a doctor or an engineer. I am sure either Bio or Chem Hl will help if I want to be a doctor, so should I switch from design tech hl to chem hl?

When I first saw schedule, I thought you meant something like the timetable for IB, the correct words would be: Subject Combination. 

I have no idea what is Design Tech, but I can give you some heads-up for Chemistry HL. Chemistry HL can help if you want to be a doctor, or even engineering because it gives you the basis of how to analysis data, how to calculate and use all kinds of knowledge in your mind in a flexible way in exams. Chemistry HL and Physics HL are tough subjects that require extra time to revise and constant update on your knowledge, doing more revision back home after class to refresh your memory, but if you are interested in Chemistry and Physics, go for it. If you are setting your sights on Harvard, I will recommend you to check our their subject requirements or even looking up at universities websites to see which one can benefit you more. 

Ivy Leagues and Oxbridge sort of schools want to see that you took the most challenging subject combination -- and excelled. If you want to study medicine, you need Chemistry. Design Technology is viewed as a 'soft' subject anyway, so reconsider taking it. But be aware that you'll be taking a very difficult combination -- HL Chem, Physics, Math is the 'killer combo', the most challenging HL combination. If you get bad results in these challenging subjects, you won't have much chance to get into most schools, so think very hard if you are ready to study your arse off for two years (even with easier subjects, the IB is very difficult) and spend your Friday nights at home, doing Chemistry exercises, when your non-IB friends are out partying. It will take everything you have, probably more.

I don't mean to scare you, but I've seen so many people overestimate their ability and spectacularly fail because they would not agree to put in the effort necessary. If you aren't willing to sacrifice other aspects of your life (there will be times you won't have any time for hobbies or friends, not long periods, but they'll be there) to some extent, swap some of your subjects for easier ones. So think very hard if you are ready for it, and if you decide to go through with the IB, don't make excuses and do the work. It will prepare you very well for the difficulties of med school and of future life.

Good luck!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Although to most people taking double Science and Maths HL would be considered very difficult, it really depends on your own strengths. If that's what you excel in, then by all means take them. You won't be the only one to do so for sure.

Also Chemistry HL isn't overly difficult if you devote real time and effort to it as outlined by ellie above, and if you take a look at the DP May 2015 Stats Bulletin, you'll see Physics & Chemistry HL being the subjects with relatively high % of candidates scoring a 7/7 (13% and 10% respectively). Of course, those students have committed and sacrificed a lot towards excelling in those subjects. 

I honestly can't tell you more though, you'll have to see them for yourself when you actually take them. And like ellie said, I also wouldn't advise taking IB Design Tech. 

Edited by IB`ez

You should definetely do design tech if you're into project work. There is a lot of portfolio work involved, but if you have a technical mind and can understand the concepts easily, then you will enjoy it. Also, there is a big difference in DT SL and DT HL, as HL does have considerably more components in it.