Math SL to HL

dani09

My friend moved from SL to HL halfway through the first semester simply due to her not being satisfied with the SL teacher. It's no problem as long as you're willing to dedicate time and effort to it as Maths HL isn't known for its ease -- but it's still hella doable. 

Edited by IB`ez

Having dropped from HL to SL I can say the difference is pretty huge. After only 6 or so weeks of HL maths I was ahead on most of the SL topics for the next few months or so. To make up a whole semester you'd have to be really dedicated, have teachers willing to support you with questions, and have a decent foundation in maths in the first place.

Keep in mind that balancing catchup on HL Maths with the continuing workload of other subjects is likely to be pretty difficult. Also in Australia you can often do bridging courses to catch up on maths or science subjects just before starting uni, which may be a better option as you will have more free time. With that in mind, if you have your heart set on your course and have the motivation to catch up, you should definitely give it a try :)

• Like 1