Does One Sex "Have It Better" In Your Country?

iiimee

Sorry if there has already been a topic posted that's similar to this, but since I didn't see one, I decided to start one myself.

Anyway, the question's pretty self-explanatory: Does one biological gender have it better in the country you live in? (Sorry, but please don't make this about transgender people- that's coming from somebody who is transgender.) Why or why not? I know that, since this is a debate, it can't be helped some people might be offended by what you say, but please just rationally bring up your points and defend them based on logic, not emotion: You can't win a debate by saying your feelings were hurt. It could be argued you can't win a debate at all of course, because there are always new perspectives... Anyway, yeah, what do you guys think? In the US, I don't think one gender really rules over the other, and honestly, gender roles here seem to be almost nonexistent. There might be some pressure on an individual from other individuals, but of course that can't be helped: I don't think anyone is really being forced to take on a certain role in our society here. There are other people from the US on here of course, so they might disagree, and of course I'd like to hear from people not in the US about their home country.

• Like 2

Personally I think individual females have it a bit better in Finland, because males are forced to go to army for half year, females are not. In average lenghts of career this more then evens out by longer parenthood leaves of females, but as a woman who doesn't intend to reproduce I consider myself even so slightly priviledged in this. 

• Like 5

I cannot really comment on the country I'm living in because I'm not native to Malaysia. However in my home country I do have one thing that bothers me; Canadian women have a lot of advantages in divorce. In Canada, much like many other developed countries there is huge amount of inequality in which parent assumes custody of the children. 79.3% of divorces end up with the mother gaining full custody. Other than that though, I wouldn't say Canada has much gender inequality, especially under Trudeau.

• Like 2

In Germany I'd say it's pretty equal for both genders. Women have some privileges men don't have (longer parental leave). Other than that I believe both sexes have a very good representation both in media and in terms of rights etc. 

There's some discrimination (which is being dealt with) when it comes to sexuality, but other than that - it's pretty good here. 

• 1 month later...

Women in the United Arab Emirates have virtually no control of their lives especially ones who come from wealthy families where the males in the family have bonds with powerful persons. And due to the countries wealth the Capital: Abu Dhabi, faces a problem of girls and woman with little to no control of their lives.

This is because of many factors, such as a law that requires the females guardian to sign off before she can do something as simple as taking a drivers test or something as life changing as traveling which creates restrictions on studying abroad. Women are not emancipated from their guardian, in most cases their father, until they are older than 30 or marry, often into the care of a worse man.

The amount of power the father has on the child grown to woman means he can force her to cover in the head dress with the threat of taking away liberties such as school or freedom to leave the house.

This imbalance of power remains as protests are forbidden and scare due to fear mongering.

Women are forced to accept this absence of choice as it is not a written rule but rather an unspoken reality.

Due to the oil wealth of the country and luxuries it provides no one would appose this regimen.

It sucks.

Sincerely,

someone who knows.  

• Like 3

I live in Canada (was born and raised here) and I don't feel that gender inequality is as major of an issue here (haven't personally witnessed any major issues regarding that in my city at least) and gender equality is entrenched within the Canadian Constitution, but it still exists. One of the things the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms highlights is the idea that individuals are all equal before the law and they have the right to not be discriminated against. This should apply to everyone including those of different genders, but that does not always hold true. One piece of evidence that shows gender inequality in Canada would be the wage gap. There is still unequal pay between males and females and I hear that this is especially prevalent in the STEM field (sciences, technology, engineering and mathematics). The good news is that this gap is gradually decreasing. 

There is also gender inequality on the smaller scale: in individual households and I think this could be a cultural thing as well. In some households, the males get more freedom than females showing that one sex does have it better. 

• Like 1

I remember doing a project on Japan, and I definitely think your question depends on the location as well. 

The sexism is quite apparent. Japan ranks atrociously low in both the Gender Gap and the Gender Inequality Indexes. In every visible aspect of society, women face so much more disadvantages compared to men. Women earn about 40% less than men on average and they are barely non-existent in higher ranking managerial positions in both the private and public sectors. Japan is one of the only countries, or even the only country, in the developed world where women aren't allowed to legally keep their surname upon marriage. It's also only very recently that the public started talking about domestic abuse and sexual assault as real social issues.

So yea i'd say that men have it better in Japan than their counterparts.

• 2 months later...

I live in Sweden. Sweden ranks 4th on the global gender gap index. (http://www.expertmarket.co.uk/most-gender-equal-countries-in-the-world), something we are quite proud of ;). For example, we have equal maternal and paternal leave for new parents. On the other hand I think Norway are doing a very fine job to, for example by having compulsory conscription for both genders.

I believe most people think that their own country is very gender equal, because you live in it every day. While others visiting your country might find that not to be the case. 

Edited by Franklin

In my opinion, I think that the female sex has it somewhat better than the other sex, here in Sweden.

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with some guys being seen as the most irresponsible, immature and childish human beings or not. But it's common that you expect that some guys at some point act irresponsible and immature. 
When it comes to teachers treating us, they do treat us the same. However when it comes to answering random questions in class, they expect us with female sex to give a reasonable answer to the questions asked. 

I think that there's only a minor difference when it comes to treating us students differently in school based on our sex and expectations. Otherwise we treat each other equally. 

:)