Does your lang/lit EE author need to be on the IB list of prescribed authors? or any author?

mcrivelli

hi everyone

I'm writing my essay on lang and lit. I chose to do it in category 1. Im wondering if the author of the book i chose needs to be in the IB list of prescribed authors, or if that is only applied to works studied in class. 

Thank you so much for your help

Madison

Although I did not do my EE in English, I think the author of the book does not have to be from the IB Prescribed list of authors. This is because a couple of people in my class did it on books whose authors were not in the IB Prescribed list. This being said, I'd check with your English teacher/EE Supervisor she/he will be your best resource. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

From what my supervisor told me, the prescribed list of authors is specifically geared for students doing a Category 1 or Category 2 Langlit EE on recommended literature. There's limitless text options for a Category 3 EE as you won't really be focusing too much on the literature aspects as you would on a Category 1 or 2 EE. 

I don't think you have to do a text from the list, but it is useful to as then you will be sure that there is enough literary stuff to analyse in it.

For example I'm doing one of Margaret Atwood's books, which I'm pretty sure is on the list.

In any case, be sure not to do anything too common, like Gatsby or Pride and Prejudice, unless you have something really insightful to say.

(I'm doing english lit not langlit, but I'm guessing the requirements will be similar)

Edited by terribletouw

From what my supervisor told me, it is highly recommended you choose a text from the prescribed literature works from the IB (although other texts that you can argue has strong literary merit is viable as well) only for a Category 1 or Category 2 EE. 

For a Category 3 EE, which is purely on studies in language, you can do any text you'd like provided there is still some academic value -- such academic value will be present especially if you tie the text into a grander context. 

Hi, I don`t think you have to worry about it. I did my EE on Margaret Atwood`s Handmaid`s tale and on Suzanne Collins` hunger Games Trilogy. As long as you are able to make a comparison or use a novel in your favour then it`s alright. All the best! 

• Like 1