Japanese B Materials

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I'm currently learning Japanese for my IB exams as well! 

For grammar, I recommend the Tae Kim's guide to learning Japanese. As far as a textbook goes, I heard a lot about the Genki textbooks and workbooks, but since my school already provides me a textbook, I figured I don't really need to. My school uses the Adventures in Japanese textbook and workbook. For kanji I use Memrise.com and it's free. I also use James Heisig's ''remembering the kanji'' book. It's REALLY good. 

Overall, just watch youtube videos that teach Japanese and get your hands on those textbooks and you will be fine!

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello there ^_^

I'm currently taking IB Japanese too!

I can't remember on the top of my head the title of the Kanji book, but it has a white cover and the book teaches Kanji based on drawings and little illustrations that really help with memorizing. Sorry for not being able to be accurate, but maybe google?

Also, Genki textbooks are pretty good. However, I advise not to rely on them too much. I strongly recommend going onto this website http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/easy/index.html DAILY and learning some new Kanji and vocabulary. There's also this app called 'Rikaikun' free to download for chrome (it's basically an app that allows you to read literally every Kanji on a web page.) which will really help in combination with the website.

While all this may help, I recommend interacting with your teachers as much as possible, for they are really the ones who can give you the most help and feedback. Most importantly, use Japanese every day by talking with your friend or teacher. 

頑張って!シ

Hi!

Even though I'm not taking Japanese B I study it outside of school so maybe I could help :) I truly recommend the whole "Japanese from Zero" series (including the katakana and hiragana texrbooks). I went through all the 4 levels and they explain the grammar very well 

Hope that helps :) 

• 5 months later...

Hi! I am doing Japanese B Higher now and here are some advise :-)

For grammar, Genki is pretty good however you will need more grammar in depth. If you are doing standard, try to master all your grammar structures for JLPT N4 N3 (higher will be N3 and N2). Kanji is not that difficult actually. Standard: try to master all kanji in 漢字検定10-6級 Higher: 漢字検定10-5級. Level 8-10 are very basic and you should have already known them

Try to watch more drama and read newspaper because it will help to boost your Japanese proficiency a lot!! (if doing standard, try the NHK easy news)

Good luck!! :-D

• 1 month later...

Hi.

I did Japanese B SL in November 2016 and received grade 7. If you are doing the same course or ab initio and if you are based in Melbourne, Victoria and require some support or tutoring, let me know:) I am willing to help and the fee won't be high. 

also my biggest tip is to attempt the past exam papers. You will learn the trick as you observe the pattern.