Do singapore universities care about not taking english A?

From what my University Guidance Counsellor has told me, you'll need strong grades to get into NUS. You might want to look into specific requirements for the specific areas you want to be majoring in, but generally high grades are a requirement -- at least 37-38/45 I think, with a balanced enough extracurriculars & CAS portfolio.

Taking harder subjects such as a Science HL/Maths HL would be beneficial to your application, as well as provide you with an improved systematic way of thinking that will help in a rigorous university such as NUS, but I wouldn't say it's a pre-requisite and again, you should check their requirements for what department you'd like to apply to. 

I personally don't think English B will prove to be disadvantageous, though they might want you to take an IELTS/TOEFL/SAT to really prove your english proficiency.

1 hour ago, IB`ez said:

From what my University Guidance Counsellor has told me, you'll need strong grades to get into NUS. You might want to look into specific requirements for the specific areas you want to be majoring in, but generally high grades are a requirement -- at least 37-38/45 I think, with a balanced enough extracurriculars & CAS portfolio.

Taking harder subjects such as a Science HL/Maths HL would be beneficial to your application, as well as provide you with an improved systematic way of thinking that will help in a rigorous university such as NUS, but I wouldn't say it's a pre-requisite and again, you should check their requirements for what department you'd like to apply to. 

I personally don't think English B will prove to be disadvantageous, though they might want you to take an IELTS/TOEFL/SAT to really prove your english proficiency.

I didn't see any requirements like IELTS/TOEFL/SAT for ib dp students!

Is taking hard subjects really beneficial for application? I thought ib subjects taken matters after getting into the uni first and only the ib test score counts for application. 

Edited by future scientist

31 minutes ago, future scientist said:

I didn't see any requirements like IELTS/TOEFL/SAT for ib dp students. 

Is taking hard subjects really beneficial for application? I thought ib subjects matters after getting into the uni first and only the ib test score counts for application. 

You should consult with a University Guidance Counsellor to confirm; the one at my school advised everyone who doesn't take English A to take TOEFL/IELTS/SAT/ACT to prove English proficiency in general. If you're sure NUS does not require it, then you don't need to take it for applying to NUS.

Again, it depends on the course you plan on applying to and you'll have to check their specific requirements for that course. In general, having strong grades would help your application a lot. But let's say you want to get into a rigorous, science-related course; it might be expected of you to have taken two science courses, as well as any Maths level other than Studies, in conjunction with solid performance across them all. And if you want to study something business related, it would be advisable for you to have either taken Business/Economics at the very least, as well as Maths SL/HL.

All that said, your subject options are diverse and extremely solid. Taking hard subjects may not directly boost your application, but it does show the person reviewing the applications that you also have strengths in areas other than the one you chose to apply to (yes, they will see your individual transcript grades for each subject and the subject name itself, as well as the total score) and it definitely helps. Furthermore, rigorous subjects would generally require you to be, well, rigorous. That helps anywhere.

Edited by IB`ez
  • Like 1

Hello, hope I am not too late for this. 

NUS's language requirement for IB is not specific, though if you are taking English B, I will strong advise you to take IELTs / TOEFL to make yourself more competitive than other students who take English A. It is always better to prove your level of English to apply for competitive universities (especially NUS). 

Here is a website for NUS on IB Requirements for Single and Double / Concurrent Degree courses: http://www.nus.edu.sg/oam/apply-to-nus/IB-subject-prerequisites.html 

Good luck in IBDP <3. 

17 hours ago, inriya said:

Hello, hope I am not too late for this. 

NUS's language requirement for IB is not specific, though if you are taking English B, I will strong advise you to take IELTs / TOEFL to make yourself more competitive than other students who take English A. It is always better to prove your level of English to apply for competitive universities (especially NUS). 

Here is a website for NUS on IB Requirements for Single and Double / Concurrent Degree courses: http://www.nus.edu.sg/oam/apply-to-nus/IB-subject-prerequisites.html 

Good luck in IBDP <3. 

Thank you ^_^

so that means there are students who take englsihA and additional tests also and they'll be more advantageous than ppl who take english B and additional tests. My friend recommended me to just go for english A first and then drop it if it's too hard to maintain good grades. How is this plan?? 

4 minutes ago, future scientist said:

Thank you ^_^

so that means there are students who take englsihA and additional tests also and they'll be more advantageous than ppl who take english B and additional tests. My friend recommended me to just go for english A first and then drop it if it's too hard to maintain good grades. How is this plan?? 

Its not impossible to do well at the subject, especially at SL where criteria demands are less harsh. Talk to your teacher a lot if you need help.

On 6/29/2016 at 6:51 AM, future scientist said:

Thank you ^_^

I thought I would do horribly in English A Lang lit SL, turned out that after I paid attention to classes + talk with my teachers, I did well in English (scored at least a 5-6). Yes, maybe English A would be more advantageous than English B in some universities, like NUS for example, an academic-based university, perhaps. However, if you are unsure, I will really suggest you to

1. Read the syllabus of English A + B to compare 

2.  talk to your English teacher 

(maybe) join several classes in English A first because why not. Even if you miss a few classes in English B, it will not be an evident problem. 

2 minutes ago, inriya said:

I thought I would do horribly in English A Lang lit SL, turned out that after I paid attention to classes + talk with my teachers, I did well in English (scored at least a 5-6). Yes, maybe English A would be more advantageous than English B in some universities, like NUS for example, an academic-based university, perhaps. However, if you are unsure, I will really suggest you to

1. Read the syllabus of English A + B to compare 

2.  talk to your English teacher 

(maybe) join several classes in English A first because why not. Even if you miss a few classes in English B, it will not be an evident problem. 

Yes why not. I decided to take english A first and then drop it if it's too hard to maintain good grades on it. I should definitely go talk to my english teacher like what you suggest :) thank you

• 4 weeks later...