Help with handwriting

TheTroll73

Don't know how much you've seen this kind of question but here it goes...

Yeah, it's awful, really awful! "Looks 'nice' but unreadable" (lol what does it mean?)

Don't think I haven't done a thing about it. Here the stuff I did to improve my handwriting:

-Changed pen grip (worsened handwriting *facepalm*)

-Practiced "drawing" letters for 6 months (no effect :P)

-Changed from cursive to print (made it worse)

-back to cursive (no effect)

In other words, my handwriting is even worse now by practicing it. Any ideas appart from taking my lil' bros's handwriting book (which I used for practice)? Or "drawing" the letters?

I'm asking as I proved that my handwriting does decrease my exam grades pretty badly (even math O_O). Chances I may not even succeed IGCSE if the examiners won't even bother reading all the good stuff I write if it doesn't look nice to the eye/the brain cannot interpret it to words.

I don't want just stupid advice teachers give me like get a better pen (it is already a really good one that write very smoothly and has a good-sized nib).

Thanks if you answer :D.

P.S: obviously can count as service to your CAS (if you do actually have your supervisor do the arpoval thing) because you are helping 

Hey there,

You may like to try increasing the size of your letters, and writing more slowly, with a relaxed grip. From personal experience, when i am tense and trying to write I end up producing some piece of abstract art, that is almost illegible XD

Yeah, so try relaxing you grip, and slowing down.

Hope this helps^_^

Thanks for the advice, but writing slowly will never help me have good handwriting in exams (gotta write fast). I can do good handwriting at the rate of one letter every 5 seconds or so. One should be able to write much faster. I also write slower than average already.

I tried increasing the size of letters too but it does not help (experimented with a slow writing speed compared to normal size). Though writing in caps is ok but again, too slow. 

Can't tell how my grip is. Someone's gotta tell me if it's relaxed or not.

The thing is that I also forgot to mention that some of my teachers will just put me 0 if my handwriting doesn't improve after summer as they have enough of my handwriting. I already told them that my handwriting is impossible to improve but eh, who believes me? Every teacher thinks that anyone can improve handwriting. I understand that they are having a hard time to read it, but they could be trying to help me or something. I mean, isn't it a teacher' job to help their students succeed?

Also noticed that I often drop stuff including forks and I can't tie shoelaces either lol. My coloring sucks bad too. Any relation here (I mean, it's all hand movement or whatever it is called)?

By the way, my handwriting became so famous (though I myself is not known) at school that another student asked me if any teacher didn't get bothered by my handwriting. I answered math as my numbers are way clearer than letters. Oddly enough, I always learn how to say the numbers first rather than the letters when learning a new language.

I will definitely ask to do exams on a computer after summer break but I doubt it will be accepted.

Good summer everyone! And thanks again! :D:D:D:D:D. Hope your handwriting doesn't ruin your summer like it does to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I know you mentioned that switching to print made your handwriting worse, but I feel as though writing in cursive won't help your handwriting much! I know lots of people have difficulty when it comes to reading cursive writing (myself included!) so although you may feel as though writing in print made your handwriting worse, give that a shot! Writing in print is slower, but once your print writing has improved, you can combine cursive and print together (I know that sounds absurd, but that's how it is), which isn't too slow. My own handwriting is a mixture of cursive and print, and I would believe it to be legible!

Also, handwriting can change based on how you write it. I know someone who writes their "d"s by first writing a "c" then adding a line next to it, their "d"s are often confused with the letters "cl" if not written properly. Perhaps get hold of one of those alphabet tracing guides and see if the way you write is any different from the guide, then try to imitate the tracing guide's way for a while? It'll definitely take time getting used to how you write, but the results may very well be what you're looking for!

Not sure if this is feasible but my IB coordinator let one girl in my class use a laptop for exams. NO ONE could read her writing and it was affecting her marks. It was considered a 'learning disability' and accommodations were allowed. I think my school has done this 2-3 times before. 

I don't know if schools in the UK have similar policies but you should check

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/3/2016 at 2:47 PM, VeronicaG said:

Not sure if this is feasible but my IB coordinator let one girl in my class use a laptop for exams. NO ONE could read her writing and it was affecting her marks. It was considered a 'learning disability' and accommodations were allowed. I think my school has done this 2-3 times before. 

I don't know if schools in the UK have similar policies but you should check

This should be feasible, assuming your school/coordinator are willing to help. My handwriting is pretty crap (although not a complete disaster), but after a request from my Portuguese teacher in year 9, I did both my IGCSE and my DP exams using a word processor (laptop). I wasn't actually the only one as there were 2 or 3 other kids in my class who also used one. The coord submitted a request to the IB and they approved it after I took a handwriting and typing speed test at my school. You should give this a try!

Edited by AAPower

On 6/24/2016 at 3:54 PM, TheTroll73 said:

Thanks for the advice, but writing slowly will never help me have good handwriting in exams (gotta write fast). I can do good handwriting at the rate of one letter every 5 seconds or so. One should be able to write much faster. I also write slower than average already.

I tried increasing the size of letters too but it does not help (experimented with a slow writing speed compared to normal size). Though writing in caps is ok but again, too slow. 

Can't tell how my grip is. Someone's gotta tell me if it's relaxed or not.

The thing is that I also forgot to mention that some of my teachers will just put me 0 if my handwriting doesn't improve after summer as they have enough of my handwriting. I already told them that my handwriting is impossible to improve but eh, who believes me? Every teacher thinks that anyone can improve handwriting. I understand that they are having a hard time to read it, but they could be trying to help me or something. I mean, isn't it a teacher' job to help their students succeed?

Also noticed that I often drop stuff including forks and I can't tie shoelaces either lol. My coloring sucks bad too. Any relation here (I mean, it's all hand movement or whatever it is called)?

By the way, my handwriting became so famous (though I myself is not known) at school that another student asked me if any teacher didn't get bothered by my handwriting. I answered math as my numbers are way clearer than letters. Oddly enough, I always learn how to say the numbers first rather than the letters when learning a new language.

I will definitely ask to do exams on a computer after summer break but I doubt it will be accepted.

Good summer everyone! And thanks again! :D:D:D:D:D. Hope your handwriting doesn't ruin your summer like it does to me.

What you're talking about sounds like a mild form of dyslexia, you should try talking to like your guidance counselor (if you have one), or whoever in your school works with dyslexic students, and tell them about your problem.

• Like 1