Modeling cooling of a car engine

Amy0501

Hey, for my math IA im doing cooling of a car engine. My objective is to determine how much time it has to pass for the engine´s temperature to be okay for it to be touched. Its related to personal experience. I collected my data and got an exponential decay graph as predicted. Can you guys suggest ideas? I have some but not sure about them. 

Edited by Amy0501

What maths do you plan on applying for your Math IA? The point of the IA is to use the math topics explored in the class to a topic of your choice. What are your ideas? I can read over them and give you feedback on it if you like?  Just believe in yourself and what you are doing for your Math IA and don't freak out!!! 

Hi, well i finished writing it. I hope its okay. I used 2 data points to get the equation, then applied newtons law of coolings, described both their limitations. Then did ln(Time-Room Temp)vs Time and did linear regression. My teacher said it wasn't enough maths and that he would´t put me more than a three because it is at a course level.He expects more complicated things. I would really appreciate your comments Thanks for your support words.

23 hours ago, Amy0501 said:

Hi, well i finished writing it. I hope its okay. I used 2 data points to get the equation, then applied newtons law of coolings, described both their limitations. Then did ln(Time-Room Temp)vs Time and did linear regression. My teacher said it wasn't enough maths and that he would´t put me more than a three because it is at a course level.He expects more complicated things. I would really appreciate your comments Thanks for your support words.

I'm not sure what equations you are solving for but you could solve the partial differential heat equation and do a temperature map of the engine if you approximated as a simple geometry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_equation