Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mark

Topic for the college essay

I am a terrible liar and I would really love to just write about something that really reflects me, as it would be very easy. However I think that about what I want to write about seems kind of pathetic... You know that many applicants write about a fiction/non-fiction character who really influenced their lives etc. like protagonists from great books or great historical figures. Well, mine would be 2 characters from japanese anime series. The character Rock Lee from the Naruto series and Keitaro from Love Hina.

Let me explain,

This characters did actually really change the way I see things, the producing team of naruto is excellent, they really managed to get their message across in their character Rock Lee. According to the author of the series, Rock Lee was supposed to show human weakness to the audience and that hard work is worth it and really pays off. For a whole while in my life I did in fact believe that many people were naturally more talented than me, so I gave up trying to compete, whether it was in academics, sports, acting, relationships, just anything. I also didn't care about teachers saying ''oh if you work hard, you will surpass them'' coz i did work harder, but I still didn't surpass them and my teachers just commented that ''oh well, maybe [insert area that i competed in] is just not ur strong point, the other person you tried to compete with is just more talented I guess''. But when I watched Rock Lee on tv, it was amazing. It's a ninja series, and the first appearance of Rock Lee was a kind of funny looking ninja who was overly honourable in character and was really strong... but later it was revealed that he was wearing bandages around his arms/legs in order to stabilize his muscles which he almost tore to shreads because of his rigorous training. This character was naturally at a disadvantage (he couldnt use 2 fundamental fictional martial arts techniques and was just below average in normal fighting) and he was always made fun at by other kids at the ninja academy, yet he still trained his below average skills every day like hell, doing as many push ups, squads, rope jumping, kicks, punches as he could before eventually collapsing of exhaustion and he almost too gave up coz he couldn't see himself get better, but he was lucky that a martial arts teacher was watching him train all this time and this teacher was heavily impressed that a guy who has a big disadvantage still keeps on training to get to his dream of becoming a great ninja. Rock Lee complained that he just can't get better than the ''talented'' people, no matter how hard he tries, and then the teacher said something that really amazed me, he said ''if you don't even believe in your own skills, then all your effort is useless!'' After that Rock Lee understood that his moaning and impatience was a greater hindrance than his natural disadvantage for martial arts. Now that I think of it, he is kind of like Einstein (Einstein totally sucked at maths, he was very disadvantaged at maths, but he still turned out to be the greatest math guy who ever lived). After that, I did actually recommence my one of my own childhood dreams (becoming a great martial artist), I quit when I was young coz I was at first no good at it and my teacher gaves me the ''u need talent'' response when I tried to get advice from him. I am now much much better at martial arts, but what really made me become stronger was imitating Rock Lee. I frequently exercised, like push ups, at night and I would do so until my arms collapsed, not after I thought 'it's enough for a day'. So in a sense, my willpower got stronger coz I was never able to do anything like that anymore. I also improved in other things, like academics, I now learn freely without the feeling of competing against others in my class, I view them as 1 of many challenges now, and I work as hard as my strength allows me (more or less) to satisfy myself, to prove to myself what I can really achieve on my own which greatly stimulates me as I want to prove myself that ''I am better than everyone thinks''. I could go on and on, but this character really had a great influence on me. And some of you guys might say ''working hard works out well.... duh!'' but to someone like me who tried n tried n tried I really thought that ''practise makes perfect'' is a myth, since it is actually very hard to find a super motivating force that will make u do this practise relentlessly

About Keitaro from Love Hina, the same thing applies as above. In the series he is initially portrayed as a complete loser who failed getting into Tokyo University 3 times in a row but still tries to get in. Why? Because he vaguely remembered that a girl who he loved as a child told him a myth ''when 2 people in love both get accepted to Tokyo U they will live happily forever'', the girl's parents had to relocate business eventually and thus left, and Keitaro thus lost contact to her, but before she left she said ''promise me that we will meet again in Tokyo U'' and he promised. So eventhough virtually everyone in the series puts Keitaro down (he is dumb and wants to get into the most selective uni in the country) he doesnt give up because he keeps his promise n stuff. He eventually gets accepted and meets the girl he made a promise with as a child. This actually really did open me up, before I watched this I thought that top unis are just plain impossible for me to get in and I shouldn't even try because I definitely wont get in anyway. Now I worked real hard and I have a chance of gettin in considering my skills n stuff.

I didn't tell my IB coordinator about this idea yet, she advised me to write about my performance as an actor, coz i'm really into it. But the theatre and I really stem from the above. If I wouldn't have watched these animes I really wouldn't be the person I am now. But do you think it's okay to write about anime characters?

hmmmm. it's a risk...that might just pay off.

personally, i wouldn't do it, even if it is the truth.

i have plenty of things i could talk about that would make the reader really moved, but it is[b] too[/b] personal.

being generic is not necessarily a bad thing, if you can find something in the generic that is different.

i don't know. at the end of the day it's your choice... i would do the theatre idea.

I really like the idea. It's an idea that would make you stand out. Yes anime is not the typical answer, but as long as you can show a profound influence it had one you, I think it's a good idea. Like Forester said, it is entirely your decision, but I'd just like to say that I think that though a risk, it's a really good one to take. It sets you apart as well as shows a lot about your personality. I say go for it. :rolleyes: