Is taking ESS for Business bad?

Lana426

Hi, I'm just about to start my IB DP and I was wondering if unis would consider ESS for Business as a ''soft'' subject? Also, is taking an ab initio language bad? I would take both of them at SL (+ Maths SL) and English A, Econ and Psychology at HL.

In response to your questions, a lot of it depends on where you're applying. UK considers ESS "easy" not "soft". The United States however doesn't care and colleges there will take everything into account equally. Yes all colleges love people who do well in Math HL but that's besides the point. Ab intio language isn't bad at all. Just make sure it isn't a local language that most people in your area already speak. English and Econ HL are great (especially if you do well.)

Fell free to ask me more.

Hi, 

I wouldn't say that uni's would consider it as a "soft" subject, no; but why not take Business management instead? ESS is good and all :) but will it serve you for your future career? Taking ab initio is also not a problem, Uni's won't reject a student over subject choice!

Hope this helps ^_^

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lana426 said:

ESS ..an ab initio language ... (+ Maths SL) and English A, Econ and Psychology at HL.

Just realized that your subject combination is very similar to mine. My advice? you will be just fine for a business major. (I was one too, recently graduated last May.)

It would depend on a couple things

A) what form of business are you looking into?

This is important in a way because the IB is a absolutely great preparation for what you will experience in college, at least that is how it is if you go to a US school. So for me I was lucky enough that the curriculum my school offers that is quite limited is great for what I want to do. I am wondering why you don't take the business and management class that IBDP offers students. It is probs because it is not offered. 

So if you are looking into working in a environmental business than this will benefit your personal knowledge growth

b) what schools are you looking into?

It is has become a realization that different schools from different countries view the IB differently. In the US they simply love that you did IB and give you all the credit they can and not even see the classes as a requirement for admittance into programs. But for other schools they want you to do freaking amazing in the IB and take certain classes and score really well to do certain programs. So you need to look at what schools you are wishing to pursue and then go from there.

I hope this helped you out!!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dosco said:

Just realized that your subject combination is very similar to mine. My advice? you will be just fine for a business major. (I was one too, recently graduated last May.)

Hi, thanks very much for the advice! I'm glad to see that someone who had a similar combination did fine at uni level. I'll be okay then :))

13 hours ago, Dosco said:

In response to your questions, a lot of it depends on where you're applying. UK considers ESS "easy" not "soft". The United States however doesn't care and colleges there will take everything into account equally. Yes all colleges love people who do well in Math HL but that's besides the point. Ab intio language isn't bad at all. Just make sure it isn't a local language that most people in your area already speak. English and Econ HL are great (especially if you do well.)

Fell free to ask me more.

I'm gonna apply for a college in Europe, or the US. My goal was Scotland but it's too expensive for me and they don't offer financial aid :( 

13 hours ago, Oscarthecat3 said:

Hi, 

I wouldn't say that uni's would consider it as a "soft" subject, no; but why not take Business management instead? ESS is good and all :) but will it serve you for your future career? Taking ab initio is also not a problem, Uni's won't reject a student over subject choice!

Hope this helps ^_^

Hey, thanks for the response :) I'm not taking Business Management because it's not offered at my school. I'm taking Economics instead.

8 hours ago, Merril889 said:

It would depend on a couple things

A) what form of business are you looking into?

This is important in a way because the IB is a absolutely great preparation for what you will experience in college, at least that is how it is if you go to a US school. So for me I was lucky enough that the curriculum my school offers that is quite limited is great for what I want to do. I am wondering why you don't take the business and management class that IBDP offers students. It is probs because it is not offered. 

So if you are looking into working in a environmental business than this will benefit your personal knowledge growth

b) what schools are you looking into?

It is has become a realization that different schools from different countries view the IB differently. In the US they simply love that you did IB and give you all the credit they can and not even see the classes as a requirement for admittance into programs. But for other schools they want you to do freaking amazing in the IB and take certain classes and score really well to do certain programs. So you need to look at what schools you are wishing to pursue and then go from there.

I hope this helped you out!!!

Hi! :) Thank you very much for your comprehensive advice.

1) I want to do something in the field of Management, but Business Administration should give me a good foundation for that.

2) Scotland was my goal but it's too expensive for me and they don't offer any financial aid :( So right now I'm looking into European unis and US ones.

I recommend the US. UK is good but they have things like conditional offers etc. I worked for a couple of months at my University's admissions department and I learned a lot about the admissions process here vs the UK or other country's in the EU. In the States even Mid to top tier colleges  love IB students and financial aid is easier to get if you have strong consistent grades and decent extra curricular (thank you CAS!). Besides all that, and purely in my opinion, life is way better in the US and future opportunities are pretty great too.

On a different note, I think this great educational video below should help you in your eventual decision:

7 hours ago, Merril889 said:

Yeah, so you need to look at the standards your prospective universities have! Also, if you have a low income like me look at the big time schools like Ivy League 30% or less generally give good financial aid

I do have to look for financial aid or scholarships, so I definitely understand you. I thought about that, so we'll see about applying..Still one more year to go! :D 

5 hours ago, Dosco said:

I recommend the US. UK is good but they have things like conditional offers etc. I worked for a couple of months at my University's admissions department and I learned a lot about the admissions process here vs the UK or other country's in the EU. In the States even Mid to top tier colleges  love IB students and financial aid is easier to get if you have strong consistent grades and decent extra curricular (thank you CAS!). Besides all that, and purely in my opinion, life is way better in the US and future opportunities are pretty great too.

On a different note, I think this great educational video below should help you in your eventual decision:

Hey, thank you soo much for the reply! So can I message you for some questions regarding your reply? You've been really helpful :D 

9 hours ago, Lana426 said:

Hey, thank you soo much for the reply! So can I message you for some questions regarding your reply? You've been really helpful :D 

Of course :rolleyes:

That goes for anyone else too. Just a heads up though I am biased towards American colleges vs others. Not that i don't like the UK or Singapore or something, I just know how to navigate the US University system a lot better.

5 hours ago, Merril889 said:

@Lana426 Look at schools in the US because they just love the fact you do IB. There are some schools that give out scholarships to students who just did the IB. 

Really? Can you name some? Feel free to message me if that's easier for you. Thanks! :) 

Here's the IBO blog list. http://blogs.ibo.org/funding-opportunities/category/americas-scholarships/

there are some other schools that are not on this list as well. IB recognition varies greatly by school, so it is always best to check each school's website.

International requirements may be different from domestic requirements as well. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, IB_taking_over said:

Here's the IBO blog list. http://blogs.ibo.org/funding-opportunities/category/americas-scholarships/

there are some other schools that are not on this list as well. IB recognition varies greatly by school, so it is always best to check each school's website.

International requirements may be different from domestic requirements as well. 

Thank you so much for the reply. I'll check it out, it will sure be very helpful. :)