Will it be okay to take Maths Studies for Medicine?

Strawberina55

Hey, guys. 

I have just started my IBDP and these are my current subjects: 

HL: Chemistry, Biology, English 

SL: Psychology, French, Maths 

I was initially okay with taking Maths SL but now that the school year has officially begun, it's kind of intimidating me. I'm not horrible at Math, but I'm not super comfortable with it either. I'd have no problem taking it but I'm afraid it might lower my score. I was wondering if taking Mathematical Studies instead would cause a problem? 

I'm planning to go for Medicine, most likely in the US, or Canada. I just don't want to take any chances and risk dropping my score just because of a confusion. 

I've asked various people and counsellors and they told me that Maths SL/HL isn't necessary for medical schools and that Studies would suffice. I know it will make my application less competitive but I really don't want to end up with a low IB score and just lose both ways if I can prevent it. 

Would most universities mind if I take up Studies instead of SL? 

Thank you! 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, 

I've spent a lot of time looking into pre-med programs in Canada. Many science-related bachelors programs (i.e. biochem, bio, etc.) at some prestigious universities require you to have at least math sl. Many of them clearly state that they do not accept math studies. However, if you are looking to apply to a non-science related program (because you don't necessarily need a science-related undergraduate degree for medical school) then math studies may suffice. However, I know of only  few programs will accept math studies.

I am not super strong in math either, however I was advised by almost all the IB staff to stick with math sl. 

I can only speak about Canadian programs. Maybe some American universities accept math studies?

I know my reply is really late. I just want to put my response out there for anyone who needs it. Hope it helps!!

To echo my fellow Canadian above, mid-upper tier Canadian universities (UBC, Waterloo, U of Toronto, and McGill, top med program in Canada) does not treat Math studies as an IB course if you are applying to med since it is a science (basically if you took math studies they will not accept your IB diploma).

It is mostly the same for US universities. Most will allow you to take studies if you wanted to go into arts, but for sciences I think math SL is a requirement.

As a HL student, I think as long as you work hard in SL you will do quite well.

Hi,

Just take Math SL. Most universities won't even glance at your application if you took Math Studies and are applying for medicine. Take Math SL and if you work really hard and get a good grade, you'd raise your chances of getting in to the university. Plus, Math SL isn't that hard, trust me. The key is to always practice, you might even have fun like I do!

Good luck!

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the replies, guys! 

I didn't see them until now but thank you for replying anyway. I'm sure they would help someone else with the same question. 

I ended up sticking with Maths SL! It's not that difficult at all. I was just kind of intimidated by the surface level of things, haha. 

But yeah, for anyone wondering, Maths SL is challenging at a very moderate level, and tbh moving down to Studies isn't worth it at all.

If you're decent at Grade 10 mathematical concepts, you would do just fine as long as you make sure you understand whatever it is that your teacher is teaching at that moment itself. Don't set it aside saying that you'll "do it later" because you won't. And if you do, it'll be way more difficult. So just try to understand everything in that moment itself. Take some help from your classmates/friends if you can, but don't give up. 

• mac117 locked this topic